jana marie's Reviews > Caraval

Caraval by Stephanie Garber

bookshelves: novels, on-my-shelves, young-adult

I really enjoyed this book. I liked the setting and the atmosphere of the game of Caraval. I like how it was a little dark and twisted. I enjoyed the plot, it was quite fast-paced and entertaining. Some of the plot twists or reveals were done well and made sense. I like the mystery surrounding Legend and I definitely want to know more about him and Scarlett's sister, Tella.

Some of the problems I had was that I felt like the world was a little underdeveloped, we were just thrown into another world without really getting any background on it. Also, some "clues" or places or things that seemed significant in the game were never elaborated on and kind of just left in the dust. Scarlett as a character was OK, she wasn't my favourite character but she was tolerable.

The one thing I really didn't like was the romance (I thought it was really cheesy and cringey at times), the writing (some metaphors were awkward and some parts were too "flowery." Sometimes simple is better), and the ending (I felt it was a little bit of a cop-out and a tad disappointing).

But overall, I did end up enjoying Caraval and I am looking forward to reading the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caraval.

December 17, 2017 – Shelved