Atheinne's Reviews > Kids Like Us

Kids Like Us by Hilary Reyl

bookshelves: netgalley, 2018

Reading this book had opened up a whole new world to me. It let me in on a journey of understanding what autism is about through the eyes of Martin. I actually like Martin. His being autistic does not bother me at all because I feel like I appreciate how he appreciates the little details. There was a part of the book when he appreciated the buzzing music of the flies that he calls "the chamber music of summer". The amount of details was also satisfying and to me, there was enough description for imagination.

Initially, I thought I would be giving this book a rating of three stars, but the plot did something and towards the end of the book, there were some emotional content that tossed to me like hot potato and convinced me that this book deserved more stars.

I think that there is something beautiful in being different (and I will say this line again and again because a vast majority of the population seems to not understand this, which frustrates me. I mean, how would diversity be defined then???). I do believe that there is room for achievement but to change a person because of something you wouldn't want them to be is too much.

There is so much appreciation in this book that I recommend it to everyone. With the European setting, and you might want to choose this book for a light read.

They think we can be happy only if we become like them. They don't understand that the way we are is the only way we can be, like having blue eyes, or being male or female, or being human even. It's not something we can change and they should stop making us try."

Blog Review Over Here
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kids Like Us.

December 17, 2017 – Shelved