Jenny Baker's Reviews > Head On

Head On by John Scalzi

liked it
bookshelves: 2018, science-fiction, john-scalzi, swords-and-spaceships-recs

This is my least favorite Scalzi novel to date, but this wasn't bad at all. I enjoyed it, but I wasn't as wowed as I was with Lock In and Old Man's War. The summary says that you can read this as a standalone, but I recommend that you read Lock In first.

It took at least 50 pages for me to get into this. Once the story picked up I loved it, but there were too many ups and downs for me. One minute I was glued to the book and the next I was a little bored. I just wish there had been more consistency with the pacing and overall storytelling.

I loved the fact that this was a mystery in a science fiction world. I couldn't wait to find out how Duane Chapman died. Chris Shane and Leslie Vann are pretty cool FBI agents. During their investigation, there was a great twist adding yet another mystery to the story!

Overall, I'm still a John Scalzi fan and I plan to read the rest of his works. I don't expect to love every novel from an author. If his "worst" novel is a three-star read for me, that's pretty damn good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Head On.

December 17, 2017 – Shelved