Erin's Reviews > Murder on the Orient Express

Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie

bookshelves: bookriot-challenge-2018, january-2018, 2018-badass-books-challenge, written-by-women

Murder on the Orient Express is my second Agatha Christie novel. The first was The Murder of Roger Ackroyd which I loved and like Murder on the Orient Express I didn't guess the killer. Agatha Christie is The Best-Selling novelist of all time and pretty much invented and perfected the whodunit. Orient is neatly crafted, elegant and fun.

All of Christie's novels(I'm basing this on all 2 of her books, I've read) have a simple layout, A murder is committed, an array of suspects and just enough info to pose a theory. It sounds simple and you should be able to solve it but I didn't

DAMN IT!

With Orient a man is murdered on a train, all 12 people on the train car are suspects, the train is snowed in and the police cannot reach it. Unfortunately for the murderer, the world famous detective Hercule Poirot is on board. This sounds so simple but I didn't guess the murderer.

As soon as the murderer was revealed I felt dumb because it was so obvious and therein lies the genius of Agatha Christie.

Obviously I recommend this book.

Book Riot 2018 Read Harder Challenge: A classic of genre fiction ( mystery)
2018 Badass Books Challenge: A classic book or a book published over 100 years ago.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder on the Orient Express.

December 17, 2017 – Started Reading
January 10, 2018 –
page 75
page 105
page 134
48.91% "So much casual racism and America hating."
page 145
52.92% ""She seemed foreign, like she had some Wop relations"."
page 168
61.31% "I think the Countess and the secretary did it.

Also I have no idea what the hell happened."
page 209
76.28% "I'm stumped."
January 12, 2018 – Finished Reading
January 14, 2018 – Shelved as: january-2018
March 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-badass-books-challenge
March 28, 2018 – Shelved as: written-by-women

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Melisa So glad you enjoyed it, I was stumped too!

Erin Melisa I have a feeling most people are stumped by Agatha Christie.

message 3: by S.A.M (new)

S.A.M Agatha Christie is the queen of mystery. And random fact: she broke social norms by surfing while standing in a time when that was considered super scandalous/unheard of for a woman.

message 4: by Cassie (new)

Cassie Fischer I can't believe "And Then There Were None"! That has to be next on your list!

Erin It is Cassandra. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Tiffany I just started reading her recently myself. This was my first adventure with her. I need to pick another one.

Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️ Great review, love!!! xoxo

Erin Thanks Danielle!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

i agree with cassandra about none (the only other christie title i've read besides this one).

message 10: by Jaidee (new)

Jaidee Have you seen the film put out last year...it was good fun !

I enjoyed your review. I read several Agatha books in my teens and this was one of them.

message 11: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin No I haven't seen the movie. I tend to avoid Johnny Depp movies.