All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Stalking the Others

Stalking the Others by Jess Haines

Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

STALKING THE OTHERS is the most action packed, adrenalin fueled book in the H&W Investigations series. It opens with a chase scene through the New York subways, rushes into a life or death brawl with a werewolf, and on and on until a different kind of action intensive ending….the one we’ve been waiting for since the first book.

Part of what I love so much about this series is the way Haines injects a subtle humor in her writing that keeps even the most harrowing scenes–and there are more than a few in STALKING THE OTHERS–completely readable. A vampire, werewolf, and magic filled world, if it’s realistic, is going to involve violence and death. And this world rightly does. Up until now, Shiarra has been more of a defensive player than an offensive one, but this time, she is seeing red thanks in no small part to her murderous possessed belt. It’s a very different side of Shiarra that I did have to adjust too. I’m not sure her actions and thoughts rang as true as I’ve come to expect…even with the belt and potential werewolf infection.

I was hoping for a little more from the excellent supporting cast in this book, but like DECEIVED BY THE OTHERS, Shia is mostly flying solo. Sara and Arnold are complete no shows, and Royce has a smaller role again until the end. But he certainly knows how to make up for lost time. The ending of this book is a jaw dropper. Royce reestablishes himself as one of the hottest vampires in urban fantasy and sets up what promises to be the best book in the series. I already can’t wait for the next book in the H&W Investigations series tentatively titled FORSAKEN BY THE OTHERS which will be published in 2013.

Sexual Content:
One sex scene

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalking the Others.