Siv's Reviews > Exit West

Exit West by Mohsin Hamid

What a phenomenal book! Blending the world's current volatile and distressing dystopian reality with just enough sci fi to allow us to enter in without risking too much, this book provides a personal and insightful look at the refugee/immigrant crisis.

Favorite quotes:
"...to love is to enter into the inevitability of one day not being able to protect what is most valuable to you" (165).

"...in Marin, Saeed prayed even more, several times a day, and he prayed fundamentally as a gesture of love for what had gone and would go and could be loved in no other way. When he prayed he touched his parents, who could not otherwise be touched, and he touched a feeling that we are all children who lose our parents, all of us, every man and woman and boy and girl, and we too will all be lost by those who come after us and love us, and this loss unites humanity, unites every human being, the temporary nature of our being-ness, and our shared sorrow, the heartache we each carry and yet too often refuse to acknowledge in one another, and out of this Saeed felt it might be possible, in the face of death, to believe in humanity's potential for building a better world, and so he prayed as a lament, as a consolation, and as a hope, but he felt that he could not express this to Nadia, that he did not know how to express this to Nadia, this mystery that prayed linked him to, and it was so important to express it, and somehow he was able to express it to the preacher's daughter, the first time they had a proper conversation, at a small ceremony he happened upon after work, which turned out to be a remembrance for her mother, who had been from Saeed's country, and was prayed for communally on each anniversary of her death, and her daughter, who was also the preacher's daughter, said to Saeed, who was standing near her, so tell me about my mother's country, and when Saeed spoke he did not mean to but he spoke of his own mother, and he spoke for a long time, and the preacher's daughter spoke for a long time, and when they finished speaking it was already late at night" (202).

"We are all migrants through time" (209).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exit West.

Started Reading