Liz's Reviews > Two Girls Down

Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna

Read 2 times

Talk about how to grab a reader. “Jamie Brandt was not a bad mother. Later she would tell that to anyone who would listen: police, reporters, lawyers, her parents, her boyfriend, her dealer, the new bartender with the knuckle tattoos at Schultz’s…”.

What Luna does is get the characters exactly right. In just a few pages, she was able to nail the main characters. I loved Cap from right off the bat. An ex-cop and current PI, he loves his teenage daughter and the two of them together just seemed real. And Alice Vega, as well, unsuccessfully trying yoga to calm herself down. By the end of the first chapter, Luna had me sold.

This is a fast paced book that kept me totally engaged. One of those books i was loath to put down. Lots of phrases that would just nail a scene or a character. Like this “he saw Jamie for what she was: an unstable element, a cut wire spraying sparks”. Yes, Alice is a tad unbelievable, in a Jack Reacher kind of way; she always has a solution to getting what she needs. And I didn’t quite connect with the little bit of romance in the book. But overall this book gets a definite thumbs up and I will definitely seek out the next book that Luna writes.

My thanks to netgalley and Doubleday Books for an advance copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Two Girls Down.

Finished Reading
July 22, 2017 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
July 22, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Other Hardcover Edition)
December 12, 2017 – Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
December 16, 2017 – Shelved
December 16, 2017 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
July 5, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley (Other Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse Walters Sounds great.

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Ann Kingman of Booksonthnightstand, Penquin Random House Rep, recommended this to me. Loved it. Enjoyed your review Liz.