Eric's Reviews > The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories

The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories by H.P. Lovecraft

Oct 10, 2011

bookshelves: short-stories, science-fiction, classic
Recommended for: Sci-fi and horror fans
Read from October 07 to 09, 2011

This review is solely on 'The Call of Cthulu', the only story I've read in the collection so far.

When I saw the South Park Coon and Friends trilogy last year, which heavily featured Cthulu, I knew it was time for me to read the source material behind this cultural phenomenon. I was first shocked that H.P. Lovecraft's masterwork, which has made him such a legend, was so short. And considering it was from 1928, it didn't seem very dated, which was also a surprise.

The story is presented as a manuscript of a man who discovered his granduncle George Gammell Angell's notes. The first part of the story is the notes Angell has collected on an artist, Henry Anthony Wilcox, and the second part the notes on a police inspector, John Raymond Legrasse -- both of which had strange, though unrelated, experiences relating to Cthulu. The third part is the narrator's travels to try to better understand Angell's research, taking him around the world to a Norwegian sailor, Gustaf Johansen, for closure.

Due to this fragmented storytelling technique, it was a little harder to follow than a straightforward, linear story, but this did not detract from my interest or the tale's suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories.

05/15/2016 marked as: read