Ben Haskett's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

bookshelves: listened-via-audible

It had a really slow start, but overall it was a great book. I see this get compared to 1984 a lot, but I found the books to be really different not only in tone, but ideas as well. 1984 was grim and featured an oppressive government that worked around the clock to establish its narrative. Brave New World, on the other hand, was cloyingly bright and featured a society much closer to reality: the government doesn't have to establish a narrative, because no one cares. It has made ignorance stylish and nurtures a society where authorities don't have to ban books, because no one wants to read them. Everyone loves their place in life and sails through every day as a happy, stupid zombie.

The shelf life of this book surprised me--it's almost 100 years old, but it's still very readable and the content is chilling. I mean, granted, yes, a few stretches are a pretty stale. But for the most part, I think anyone could pick this up and not know whether it was written in 1932 or 2012.

My favorite part is that Sandra Bullock's name in Demolition Man finally makes sense now. Going further, I'd say this book has more in common with that movie than it does with 1984. Just like in that movie, everyone is pleased as punch to be right where they are. And also just like in that movie, there's a Denis Leary type living on a reservation (instead of a sewer system) that pines for the good old days. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

December 15, 2017 – Started Reading