Victor Davis's Reviews > A Hunt for Justice: The True Story of a Woman Undercover Wildlife Agent

A Hunt for Justice by Lucinda Delaney Schroeder

Dec 15, 2017

liked it

This wasn't the book I was expecting, but in a way, that's what makes it so compelling. I was recommended this book after watching & loving the movie Wind River. Something struck a chord there and this book seemed extremely similar in its concept: A female agent going out alone into this very cold, remote place to undermine a deeply male-dominated world in order to solve a crime. Those parallels didn't exactly pan out in the final product, but what I took away was an even deeper respect for the US Fish & Wildlife department and a fuller understanding of just how badass their agents are.

I am so glad that people like agent Schroeder exist and it is difficult to process the sheer lack of respect and integrity of the poachers she chases. Woven throughout the book are plenty of references to legal, traditional, sustainable hunting, an important reminder when the villains are trophy hunters who will pay thousands of dollars to have a pilot literally spot an animal from the air and chase it toward a waiting gun. This despicable practice (among others) is the kind of technique that allows high-dollar outfitters like the one busted in this story to sell "guaranteed" hunts, attracting unscrupulous trophy-chasers and making far more money by removing the pesky principle of "fair chase" from their bottom line.

My only criticism would be that, like many memoirs from retired professionals, Schroeder was a cop, not a writer, so the writing is pretty simple, straightforward, and at times stilted. Definitely read it for the content and the story, but not so much its literary merits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hunt for Justice.

December 15, 2017 – Started Reading