Russell's Reviews > Gregor and the Marks of Secret

Gregor and the Marks of Secret by Suzanne Collins

Oct 10, 2011

liked it
Read in October, 2011

Having read the first two books of the Hunger Games, and my wife having read all three, we got Collins first published series. Top notch reads overall, engaging and clever, she flexes her world-building muscles in these and to great effect.

Collins does her major themes very well, family, love, loyalty, honor, respect, not judging in haste and being willing to re-evaluate with new evidence, doing one's duty to protect and defend that which one loves, there are consequences for actions, you can't go back to the way things were before, you can only move forward. Most of the messages were clearly spelled out, which is fine for a series aimed at a younger audience. Characters are interesting, they feel fleshed out and rounded for the most part; many grow and change as the series progresses. Collins can be a little violent, but only a few scenes were what I considered to be gory or gruesome.

Boots is adorable and portrayed like a real kid. Her antics and cute sayings ring true making the character believable and likable.

The giant talking critters have not only their own identity as a species, but also as individuals, and some traits run counter the species' traits.

The world is well imagined, interesting and varied.

We're going to put these on our girls' reading lists.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor and the Marks of Secret.