Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)'s Reviews > This Heart of Mine

This Heart of Mine by C.C. Hunter

I received an arc of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.

I enjoyed reading this book and was drawn to the story line; it was very different and intriguing. The foundation of the story was solid, I just felt that parts of the execution didn’t work for me.

Shy 17 year old, Leah, is awaiting a heart transplant. A popular boy from school, Eric, is found dead of an apparent suicide and Leah is the recipient of his heart. His twin brother, Matt, is the only one who does not believe that his brother killed himself. Leah starts having dreams that lead her to believe Matt: they work together to try and figure out what really happened to Eric.

The story moves quickly and you can’t help but keep reading to try and figure out what happens. I knew about half way through what the outcome would be, it was just a matter of how they would get there.

There is a love story that will remind you of those butterfly in your stomach days from your youth. It was cute, but may have been a bit too juvenile for me. I do understand that this was a young adult read and wasn’t expecting fireworks, it was just a little too cliche (shy, nerdy girl who doesn’t know how pretty she is and super cute, popular jock).

The author did a great job of exploring grief on all fronts: Leah’s own grief, her parents anguish, and friends reactions, as well as parent and sibling grief.

Although there were a few bumps, I do feel this book is a worthwhile read. It went quick and kept you engaged.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Heart of Mine.

December 14, 2017 – Shelved