Kim's Reviews > Nightmare at 20,000 Feet

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson

Oct 10, 2011

liked it
Read from October 10 to 27, 2011

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: Great classic short story and the Twilight Zone movie kept playing in my mind as I read it.
White Silk Dress: Yes this will have you re-reading it to put the pieces together...SPOILER ALERT...My take on this is that the dress is an evil thing just like the ring in Lord of the Rings. Our storyteller, the little girl, see's her mom as beautiful, but we get a clearer view of reality when the other little girl describes her mom as having 'buck teeth' referencing fangs and 'funny hands' referencing claws. The dress is dirty and has a 'red hole' in it which is clearly a violent death from a stake or a bullet. Either way we now know the mother was a monster and considered her dress a 'magic dress' which made her powerful. The dress is an evil power so when the little girl puts on the dress the evil infects her. The dress 'moved in her arms' and it was not her mom saying 'don't let her talk about me like that' it was the dress. In the end our little storyteller is locked up and 'no longer hungry' because she killed and ate/drew blood from the other little girl while she was wearing the dress.
There are several more stories in this collection and they were all fun to listen to as several I have seen the Twilight Zone version. So 3 Stars because 'I Liked It'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.