emi's Reviews > What If It's Us

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

it was ok
bookshelves: 2-stars, 2019, disappointment, i-spent-my-money-on-this, lgbtq, male-protagonist

Lately, when I read something I end up hating, I wonder if the problem is me and not the book. However, the problem was definitely the book this time.

All these four and five star ratings people are throwing at it? I don't understand. Did we read the same book?

I would talk about a plot, but there really wasn't a strong one.

I'd talk about the characters, but none of them were interesting enough to discuss.

And I'd talk about the chemistry, but the only chemistry in this book was the test that Ben probably should have failed. Wait did he fail? I honestly don't remember.

About half this book was Hamilton references that could have been cut out completely. I love Hamilton just as much as the next guy, but Arthur has made me not want to listen to the soundtrack anytime soon. Plus mix in references to other musicals and Harry Potter on every other page. It was one, giant 400 page billboard. Especially to the company Lyft, which was mentioned no less than
5 times.

Also, Ben's fantasy fanfiction of his life has obliterated all excitement I had for Adam Silvera's upcoming fantasy book. It was literally the least interesting book-inside-a-book ever.

Also, speaking of fanfictions. This entire book felt like one. And not in a good way. I have all the respect for fanfictions, but fanfictiony writing is not for me.

I think I'm just gonna avoid every Becky Albertalli book from now on. I don't have one nice thing to say about any of her last three books. But Adam, darling, I know you can do better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What If It's Us.

December 13, 2017 – Shelved
December 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 20, 2019 – Started Reading
page 180
41.19% "Maybe I just don't believe in love anymore or I'm just not hip with the kids but I just feel like this book is trying way to hard to be relatable and funny."
page 224
51.26% "Here's a fun game! Everytime Hamilton is mentioned, take a shot. Actually, no. Don't do that. You'll get alcohol poisoning."
page 325
74.37% "There's still over a 100 pages left.

When will it end?!?"
page 360
82.38% "What If It's Us?: brought to you by Lyft"
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: 2-stars
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: disappointment
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: i-spent-my-money-on-this
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: lgbtq
January 20, 2019 – Shelved as: male-protagonist
January 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

lucie Nice review!

PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps I often dislike popular books others rave about. I don’t think it’s you.

message 3: by emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

emi lucie wrote: "Nice review!
Agree with the huge amount of refences. I really liked the first half of the book but now I am 70% or so and I cannot wait it ends."

The reference were way to overwhelming. I couldn't wait for the book to end on page 100

message 4: by emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

emi PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps wrote: "I often dislike popular books others rave about. I don’t think it’s you."

Oh good. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Mara YA Reader Reviewer I keep hearing about how disappointing this book is. I wasn’t even especially excited about it but it’s in my tbr and I think I’ll just go ahead and give it a skip.

message 6: by emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

emi Mara YA Reader Reviewer wrote: "I keep hearing about how disappointing this book is. I wasn’t even especially excited about it but it’s in my tbr and I think I’ll just go ahead and give it a skip."

Imho, it isn't worth your time. Just keep on moving. Better books are out there.

färbe mich rot This was easily my most disappointing read of 2018.

message 8: by emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

emi färbe mich rot wrote: "This was easily my most disappointing read of 2018."

I'm not surprised at all

I hope 2019 is a year of no disappointing books

Darya I felt the same! I've been let down by Becky Albertalli (Apart from Simon) time and time again. I think I'll avoid her books from now on. I still support Adam Silvera but this wasn't his finest work

message 10: by emi (new) - rated it 2 stars

emi Darya wrote: "I felt the same! I've been let down by Becky Albertalli (Apart from Simon) time and time again. I think I'll avoid her books from now on. I still support Adam Silvera but this wasn't his finest work"

Simon was good. I don't remember thinking it was the greatest novel ever though. But the rest of Becky's work is just urgh. Not good.

Adam though. I'll still give him as many chances as he wants.

Gabriela "the only chemistry in this book was the test", nice bit!

Jeff Graham I get this perfectly but I still love it

message 13: by Pat Lange (new)

Pat Lange Jasmine _ is the time for me next month

message 14: by Lucy Gleason (new)

Lucy Gleason rvvnrcpcsybfumi

message 15: by Kurt Rogahn (new)

Kurt Rogahn nxytznssmtvesva

message 16: by Olin Nikolaus (new)

Olin Nikolaus wefsajsojdhyfri

message 17: by Nickolas Hahn (new)

Nickolas Hahn xegguyirqblibbf

message 18: by Carlee Wisozk (new)

Carlee Wisozk lpzsayzgebzcmss

message 19: by Ezequiel Zboncak (new)

Ezequiel Zboncak ojzatoshmgfizgj

message 20: by Delphia Kirlin (new)

Delphia Kirlin ngumirdckwdhbuc

message 21: by Ernestine Lowe (new)

Ernestine Lowe ltpofvxpsybbkhi