Ben Haskett's Reviews > Outland

Outland by Dennis E. Taylor

liked it
bookshelves: i-read-this-on-my-kindle, ive-read-all-their-novels

What a fun book! This is Dennis E. Taylor's first novel, apparently, and it's self-published, but it's a hell of a ride. It starts with college students creating a portal that leads to parallel worlds, and that leads to smilodons, which leads to... gold-panning of all things, which leads to LOTR references, and it goes on but I don't want to spoil things. Honestly, though, it's impressive how many times this book does a ninety-degree turn on the story and just plows ahead. By the time I got to the end, I smiled when I thought of the gold-panning--it felt almost like a different story!

The book is held together by over a dozen characters who, while bland by themselves, make up a great cast. Similar to his later books, the chapters are very short, so it's easy to get into a Super-Mario style just-one-more-level-before-I-turn-it-off zone.

Also, I was impressed by the rarity of typos. I think I found... four? A comma accidentally shoved one word out of place, an extra to, a comma at the end of a quote that should have been a period, and maybe one other thing. For a book of this size (KNP said almost 6K), that's amazing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outland.

December 13, 2017 – Started Reading
December 13, 2017 – Shelved
December 28, 2017 –
January 3, 2018 –
45.0% "So far a hugely enjoyable read."
January 7, 2018 –