Rikke's Reviews > The Diary of a Bookseller

The Diary of a Bookseller by Shaun Bythell

liked it
bookshelves: non-fiction, books-about-books, humor, owned-books

Have you ever dreamt of owning a bookshop? Then this book is for you.

This is something as rare as a book that actually lives up to its title. This is nothing more, nothing less, than the diary of a bookseller.

Shaun Bythell owns Scotland's largest second hand bookshop located in Wigtown. And this book is his diary of his business life. In here you'll find hilarious anecdotes about the costumers he's met, notes about how much he has sold and earned each day, musings about the book business in general and the rise of Amazon, notes about which books he has bought for his store and how – mixed with a few passing notes of Bythell's everyday life.

It is quite simple, actually. But also endlessly charming and hilarious. I read it quickly and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Bythell has so many fun anecdotes to tell – and yet, he also offers some very brutal facts about the book industry today and the harsh reality of bookselling in general.

... a whistling customer with a ponytail and what I can only assume was a hat he’d borrowed from a clown bought a copy of Paolo Coelho’s The Alchemist, I suspect deliberately to undermine my faith in humanity and dampen my spirits further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of a Bookseller.

December 13, 2017 – Shelved
December 13, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
February 24, 2018 – Started Reading
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: non-fiction
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: books-about-books
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: humor
February 24, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-books
February 24, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Petra Eggs (new) - added it

Petra Eggs I own a bookshop, maybe I should read the book!

message 3: by Ari (new)

Ari You "enjoyed it thoroughly" so gave it 3 stars?