tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Autoritratti

Autoritratti by Guglielmo Achille Cavellini

bookshelves: art, artists-books

I'm so glad that Cavellini & I corresponded. He wd've been in his late 60s when we did. He made objects prohpesizing & promoting a centennial exhibit of his work. If this were to happen, it wd be in 2014. I hope it does. I was told that Cavellini cd afford to make these bks & to send them out so promiscuously b/c he owned a sausage factory. The ubiquitous Cavellini stickers that were once so prominent in mail art were supposedly based on the labels on the sausage he sold. Using the colors of the Italian flag.

Cavellini created artifacts promoting himself as an artist - a flier for a show at the Chicago Art Institute in 2014, eg. Postage stamps w/ images of him on them, eg. All very funny & charming & neatly executed. The variety of styles he used is remarkable. The postage stamp commemorating Cezanne & himself. I reckon he must've been filthy rich & that's something I'd often resent but the extreme sociability & imagination & good humor of his work won me over immediately. If you're going to constantly re-invent yrself thru portraiture why not a series of folkloric paper dolls? Or a portrait of yrself covered in sausage stickers w/ yr name on them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autoritratti.

Finished Reading