Amanda's Reviews > Thieves On The Fens

Thieves On The Fens by Joy Ellis

I have another confession to make. (At this rate I should have my own confessional box), I have never read any of Joy’s books before. I know that’s shocking right? Well rest assured that I am now one of her biggest fans as I enjoyed ‘Thieves On The Fens’ so much. I love discovering new series’ and I particularly love discovering that there are 7 books prior to the one I am reviewing here. Anyway more of the fan girling in a bit.
I took to DI Nikki Galena from the start. She is feisty, she is determined, she is strong but she also has her vulnerable side. Her vulnerability particularly comes through when she is talking about her late daughter and when Nikki is feeling threatened. This is especially apparent in this book when it becomes clear that she is being watched and that somebody has been in her property to move things around. Nikki is also determined to protect her mother after it becomes apparent that someone is killing off her mother’s friends. (Her mother had a tight knit group of friends with whom she worked in the MOD, although the exact nature of their work led me to suspect that they were involved in something far more secret i.e: espionage). One by one this tight knit group is being picked off by persons unknown. I get the impression that Nikki finds it hard to trust people and I did wonder if this is because she has been badly let down in the past. One person, with whom she is very close is her Detective Sergeant, Joseph, who seems to adore her and he wants to be her knight in shining armour, or at least that’s how it seemed to me. Nikki is one hard working woman and she isn’t afraid to muck in to do her fair share of work when lives are at stake. This is especially apparent with the current case that she & her team are working on. An unknown person keeps ringing Nikki to tell them about a murder, yet to be detected, and gives the location of where the body can be found. However, there is a snag because the caller uses an archaic language, which was used centuries ago amongst the criminal fraternity. So Nikki swiftly has to get up to speed with the translation of said language, apprehend the killer before it is too late and protect her mother & her mother’s colleagues. It’s safe to say that Nikki and her team have their work cut out for them.
In my opinion, ‘Thieves On The Fens’ is superbly written. The story hits the ground running and maintains the pace throughout. At no point did I feel left behind or confused about who did what. I have to say that I was hooked on this book from the very first word on the very first page and reading ‘Thieves On The Fens’ became something of an addiction to me. I found it to be a real ‘CPID’ (can’t put it down) book, which came everywhere with me. I was so hooked on the story that I didn’t notice how quickly the pages were turning and before I knew it I had finished the book, which I was so disappointed about. Don’t get me wrong, I was pleased to see how this episode ended but I was enjoying the writing style and story so much that I just wanted the book to continue on and on. There were lots of twists and turns to the story, as well as the occasional red herring. I smugly thought that I had fathomed out who did what and why but then I was sent down another path entirely. You could definitely say that this book certainly kept me guessing. On more than one occasion, I almost had to read through my fingers and hold my breath because I genuinely feared what was going to happen next. If I get into a really good book, I start to live the story, I feel like an invisible member of the team and I tend to start arguing with the different characters, which is weird to watch because I know it is a work of fiction and I am arguing with a book!! The only bad part about this book is that it had to end.
In short, I absolutely loved reading ‘Thieves On The Fens’ and I can’t wait to read more in the series featuring DI Nikki Galena. Whilst I wait I can content myself with working through the earlier books in the series. Happiness is discovering a series part way through and realising that there are several books to catch up on. It means I can buy more books, which is always a good thing (not so according to Mrs. Ginger Book Geek). I would have no hesitation in recommending this series to anybody. The score on the Ginger Book Geek board for ‘Thieves On The Fens’ is a mahoosive and well deserved 5* out of 5*.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thieves On The Fens.

Finished Reading