Pete's Reviews > Map of Shadows

Map of Shadows by J.F. Penn

I have been a fan of J.F. Penn for quite a while now and I really enjoy everything that she produces, so I was very excited to hear that she was writing a new series about maps, but I have to admit that she took me completely by surprise with this first book, and how she manages to expand that simple subject into a magical (literally) story about the borders between the earth as we know it and the dark mysterious Borderlands, which are always trying to break through those borders and drag the world we know into theirs. Her imagination doesn't seem to know any bounds!
The characters are all brilliantly written and become very believable (as far as supernatural characters can) and I found myself really caring about and rooting for the central character, Sienna.
The subject matter for this book is quite dark, but it isn't gory, even though it does involve maps drawn in blood on human skin.
J.F. Penn can be relied on to provide really evocative descriptions of the locations her books are set in, and this is no exception, she evokes the geography of Bath brilliantly, so I felt that I really knew the city, even though I have only visited there once, many years ago and she makes the Borderlands seem very real as well.
The pace of the plot is terrific, and it became quite a quick read for me as I found it very difficult to put down. Whilst this is a self-contained complete story, it very neatly leaves the door (or should that be portal?) open for more books featuring Sienna and the Mapwalkers to battle against the Borderlanders, I can't wait.
I did receive a complimentary copy of the book from the author, but this review has been voluntarily written and is purely based on my own opinions.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Map of Shadows.

December 3, 2017 – Started Reading