Lauren's Reviews > Lions and Tigers and Boys

Lions and Tigers and Boys by Tawny Stokes

bookshelves: 2018

As soon as I saw where this book takes place - the Oswald Zinzendorf School of Circus Arts - I was intrigued. I don't think I've ever read a YA book taking place at a circus arts school before; however, I was sure it would provide an interesting and potentially drama inducing backdrop. As it turns out I was one hundred percent corrected.

Blending together paranormal abilities, swoony romance, and a potentially life-threating, save-the-day mission, Lions and Tigers and Boys is an exciting addition to the YA paranormal world.

Lions and Tigers and Boys introduces Dani Gale and Cai Coppersmith, high wire partners who are slowly turning into something more.

There's something just so utterly likable about Dani. She's best described as the girl-next-door. She's sweet and slightly awkward and she has the tendency to put her foot in her mouth more often than not. Over the course of Lions and Tigers and Boys Dani deals with the typical teenage problems - mean girls, a boy who may or may not like her, and stress from school. I thought Dani did a great job of dealing with everything, and while sometimes she did jump to rash conclusions, she always had good intentions in mind. I especially liked seeing her develop a friendship with her roommate Anna.

Cai Coppersmith, on the other hand, is the typical YA paranormal male lead. His parents are dead; he has a group of bad guys after him - a group that even contains deadly flying monkeys; and he's been tasked with a big mission. One that might jeopardize everything he has at Oz. To put it simply, girls and relationships should be off limits, but he finds something so utterly irresistible about Dani. In some ways, I feel like Cai is very similar to Dani. He's struggling to find success at school, and he's always been the nice guy - be it standing up for the new girl or against the mean girl. There's also some great swoon-worthy qualities to him!

Lions and Tigers and Boys is the first book in the series so it spends a decent amount of time setting up the scene but I was never once bored. For one, I loved the setting. It was so incredibly easy to picture the school, and I loved the different classes the students took - high wire, dance, magic. Also, there's some pretty adorable tigers and lions in this book! They kept me "awing!" nearly as much as the romance did.

There was plenty of action, romance, and thrill to keep me hooked. Throughout I had so many questions swirling in my mind. Who was the wizard? Was it someone at the school? What's so important about Dani's past that they don't want her in the show? Some were answered and some weren't, but it gave me a good enough taste that I'll definitely be coming back for seconds.

Now for the part I didn't like: the ending. It provided somewhat off a conclusion, but I thought it could've been wrapped up a bit better.

Overall, Lions and Tigers and Boys managed to wow and daze me the whole way through. It's nothing groundbreaking, but it's certainly a great way to spend an afternoon. I can't wait to see what book #2 brings!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lions and Tigers and Boys.

December 12, 2017 – Shelved
December 12, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 12, 2017 – Shelved as: 2018
December 31, 2017 – Started Reading
December 31, 2017 –
58.0% "This is so much fun! I love the wizard of oz angle"
December 31, 2017 – Finished Reading