emma's Reviews > The School for Good and Evil

The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, owned, 3-stars, children-s, dark, that-setting-tho, fairytale, reviewed, from-publisher-author

AFGHASDFGASHDF THIS BOOK. I’ve never been more emotionally unstable in my life.

Far from true, but still. I’m torn up inside.

I love the premise of it so much it hurts me to try to put it into words. But I will suffer through this pain for you.

So, The School for Good and Evil focuses on Sophie and Agatha. Sophie is beautiful, shallow, and a bit of a snob. Agatha is ugly, insecure, and very kind. They live in a world in which fairytales happen, and every year, the two kindest and most terrible children, respectively, from their village are kidnapped, never to return.

But eventually, they show up in the fairytales the children read.

That’s actually one of about a thousand massive plot holes, but whatever. We’re not done yet, synopsis-wise.

Sophie is obsessed with the idea of ending up in a fairytale. Agatha dreads the idea of becoming a witch.

They’re both kidnapped, unsurprisingly. BUT PLOT TWIST: Agatha ends up in the School for Good, and Sophie, in the School for Evil.

DUN DUN DUN.

It’s actually a whole lot more boring than that. This book is a million pages long, and every possible bad side effect that could come with that does. It’s boring; it’s repetitive; it’s slow-moving; it’s filled with plot-holes; it’s supremely indecisive about its own themes, characters, and storylines.

But.

That premise tho.

I am so fully torn on EVERYTHING ELSE about this book.

The characters: equal like and dislike. Agatha is pretty consistently adorable and likable; Sophie is occasionally a total badass, but most of the time so snobby and intolerable and mean. I just wanted her to accept her inner villain, and it was awesome when she did, BUT IT LASTED LIKE FIVE PAGES. Guh.

The relationships: equal like and dislike. There’s this guy Tedros who is a total babe, and Sophie targets him, but I kinda like the him/Agatha schtick? Except it’s always made to be sooooo dramaaaaatic and just...yuck. There’s a big friendship with Sophie and Agatha, which I normally love (yay female friendship!) but it’s just so problematic sometimes. To quote the great Britney Spears: “toxic.”

The themes: equal like and dislike. There’s a shaky theme of “no one is truly good or evil,” which is cool, except it completely ruins the chances of me seeing the badass villains I wanted so badly out of this book. It also seems like there’s some sort of attempt toward feminism, based off how short the princess end of the stick is compared to the princes’, but it never quite gets there???

The premise versus the execution: Seriously one of the most brilliant, creative worlds I’ve EVER EVEN HEARD OF, but the execution can be just awful. SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL I COULD CRY.

I don’t know. I guess I’ll read the sequel and see whether like or dislike wins out. (HA. Like whether “Good” or “Evil” wins in this book! I am so funny I impress even myself.)

But then I’ll probably still read the third one either way, because I am both a massive pushover baby and a glutton for literary punishment.

And I wonder why my average rating is so low.

But I digress.

Oh! I almost forgot! This absolutely, no way no how, is a children’s book. Nor is it YA. Nor should the characters be 12, or however old they are. That’s digusting.

Yippee.

Bottom line: I DON’T KNOW. WHO KNOWS.

P.S.: The book trailer for this book is A M A Z I N G. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqnU3...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The School for Good and Evil.

December 12, 2017 – Shelved
December 20, 2017 – Started Reading
January 5, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

-ˋˏc a i s e eˎˊ- I loved this trilogy!! Hope you like it too!!

Jaime this book ended up being a dnf for me. I don't think the author knew how to write for the intended age range (ages 8-12) and it didn't feel like a children's book really. ultimately, I ended up just thinking it was kind of a hot mess. I'm really excited to read your review, though!

idiffer oooohhhh boy, just seeing this in my feed gets me all riled up. this book, i just can't even. soooo many blatant inconsistencies, plot holes large enough to fly a plane through.

emma ❝Caisee❞ wrote: "I loved this trilogy!! Hope you like it too!!"

not too sure so far but will def keep going with it!!

emma Jaime wrote: "this book ended up being a dnf for me. I don't think the author knew how to write for the intended age range (ages 8-12) and it didn't feel like a children's book really. ultimately, I ended up jus..."

oh yeah this is totally not typical middle grade. but it doesn't really feel YA-y either??? it's such a strange read and honestly i'm not sure if it ends up more good-strange or bad-strange for me

emma idiffer wrote: "oooohhhh boy, just seeing this in my feed gets me all riled up. this book, i just can't even. soooo many blatant inconsistencies, plot holes large enough to fly a plane through."

holy shit yeah! the world was so impressive, but the world building was soooo sloppy!

Zaynah Abbas ehh i really hated tedros, though- he was such an idiot

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Lovely review, Emma <3

emma Zaynah wrote: "ehh i really hated tedros, though- he was such an idiot"

message 10: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Lovely review, Emma <3"

thanks alex!! <3

Zaynah Abbas emma wrote: "Zaynah wrote: "ehh i really hated tedros, though- he was such an idiot"

really? i didn't think he was an idiot, though i found him to be among the least interesting characters"

He is kind of really dumb in the other books, though. Maybe it's just that, but honestly I can't really find anything good about him. I did love a lot of the other characters, though- the witches were amazing.

message 12: by emma (new) - rated it 3 stars

emma Zaynah wrote: "emma wrote: "Zaynah wrote: "ehh i really hated tedros, though- he was such an idiot"

He is..."

i have only read this one so far so i would not be shocked to find he gets much dumber. the other characters are so fun!!!

Tucker when i read this, i loved it

message 14: by Dida (new) - rated it 1 star

Dida Man I should have loved this book, the premise is amazing. The execution though? Ugh I was not a fan, glad you seemed to mostly like it though!