Michael's Reviews > Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

Just My Type by Simon Garfield

M 50x66
Oct 09, 2011

This is a jolly fun romp through the history, use and applicability of major (i.e., the most popular and well known) typefaces. I went into the book thinking it would be an interesting look at random fonts. It is that and much more.

The book succeeds in delivering a sampling of how fonts evolved and how we use them and to what end. The book achieves this in part by offering lots of illustrations of typefaces, real-world examples of various typefaces and having sections that talk about specific typefaces printed in that typeface (meta-typing, maybe). What typeface did Obama use in his presidential campaign? What font did James Cameron select for "Avatar" (it's also on the author's list of Worst Fonts in the World)? What is the official font of the U.S. Department of State? This book answers these questions and more.

Meanwhile, I was pleasantly surprised that the style in which the book is written also propels the narrative. The author, Simon Garfield, is a good and witty writer. He also sprinkles in some personal comments throughout the text; they do not feel out of place.

So, there are two reasons to read this book:
(1) Learn about and see examples of many typefaces
(2) Discover the voice of the author

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just My Type.