Fanna's Reviews > Dark Glitter

Dark Glitter by C.M. Stunich

72205668
The story revolves around Ciarah who wakes up to find her memories at a lost and powerful powers flowing under her skin. Soon enough she finds herself among members of The Wild Hunt—a motorcycle gang of faeries—and a revelation of her being a goddess follows closely. The premise seemed interesting which is why I picked it up and even though I’m well aware of this being the first part of a series, I felt it a bit incomplete and left me a little unsatisfied (no pun intended).

Since good should be appreciated over bad, let’s start with the things I liked. There are some diverse paranormal creatures which heighten up the world more. From faeries to werewolves, all the beings are well used in the story. Ciarah as a female protagonist was likeable for me most of the times—except for those few times when she became too dominant, though her goddess status might justify that—with the way she didn’t take shit from anybody and the reverse harem aspect sets well with her character. The writing was impressive, I would say. It didn’t go over-the-top with descriptions nor did it fell completely flat but as a whole, it was fun to read. The ending was a cliff hanger and I’m a sucker for those because it’s almost inevitable for me to not pick up the next book in series now.

Speaking of other characters, particularly those who were a part of this reverse harem (because others weren’t that well developed though I’ll be giving this aspect a benefit of doubt, too, because it’s just the start to the series) the three guys were all different from each other. I think I even decoded the trick behind it—three different personalities in the male protagonists would win every reader’s heart because you’ll definitely end up liking at least one of them. I would say it was smart because I did like Killian for the sweet and caring person that he was. He was hot and stuff but his thoughts were more maturely put forward and his selfless attitude won my heart.

Reece on the other hand was a bit hard to understand because (I have no idea why) his perspective was written in a French accent. Yup, ‘written’ in a French accent and it just pulled me out of his mind most of the times. Though, I would rank him second since he was that cute jerk that you don’t like but you actually like them a little. Third was Arlo who I would rank third because he was an alpha male. Do I have to say more? For those who know me, hot male alphas are my pet peeve and that kinda spoiled the one-third part of this harem.

Also, just a little heads up but you might want to consider this a huge warning: there are a lot of sex scenes. And yeah, by a lot I mean after every twenty or so pages. I don’t mind eroticas but I often realise how forced the addition of too many sex scenes seem to be in this sub genre. I feel like there’s this untold pressure of giving as many ‘satisfying’ moments as possible and that sometimes steeply drifts a reader away from the plot or story. Same happened here; while the sex scenes were fine with a few that were good enough, many a times they felt unneeded. However, an opinion on this largely differs from person to person so I would best leave it for yourself to decide.

Overall, this was a pretty good read and I liked it for the adventurous sequences and paranormality. Oh, and Killian.

Disclaimer: I received a digital copy of this via my participation in a promotional blog tour but that in no way influences my rating and/or opinions about it. Thank you XpressoTours, C.M. Stunich, and Tate James!

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Glitter.

December 12, 2017 – Shelved