Dave's Reviews > A Misplaced Massacre: Struggling Over the Memory of Sand Creek

A Misplaced Massacre by Ari Kelman

bookshelves: history

Since 6th grade when an excellent teacher first introduced my class to a more complete history of the interaction between Native Americans and the U.S. government, I have been fascinated by this topic. If you're like me, you will want to read this book. It tells the story of the efforts of the National Park Service to create a memorial to the Sand Creek Massacre of 1864. The process took almost a decade and was complicated by negotiations between the four tribal groups who descended from the massacre victims, land owners where the massacre occurred, local and national politicians, the Park Service itself, and local businessmen. Oh, and the fact that the creek apparently moved, and these groups couldn't even agree on exactly where the massacre took place.

Did I say massacre? For more than a hundred years, it was described as a battle, not a massacre. And that was just one point of contention. After describing the events of Nov. 28, 1864, Kelman describes the various historic sources of information and the delicate balancing act that the park service performed in bringing everyone together in agreement on how to proceed with the memorial. Alexa Roberts of the park service in particular had incredible patience to keep tempers and egos from getting too far out of hand. A great story of western history and how it can still have repercussions today.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Misplaced Massacre.

Started Reading