Aria Maher's Reviews > The Mysterious Island

The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne

bookshelves: favorites, steampunk, sci-fi

I think everyone dreams at some point in their life of colonizing a deserted island. I know I did. My brother and I made elaborate plans for what we would take with us in our tiny boat, and created maps of our imaginary island, complete with houses and farms and rivers and forests. This isn't the first time I've read The Mysterious Island. It was a huge childhood favorite of mine. I read it over and over, relishing the descriptions of the island and the grand adventure the colonists go through to make it habitable. I'm not a huge fan of Robinson Crusoe, a book which many may consider similar to this one, because I always felt like Mr. Crusoe had it too easy! Pretty much everything he needed was tossed up on shore with him. One of the reasons I really love this book is because here the colonists have to create basically everything they need from scratch. This is just such a cool book to read, and I love it just as much now as I did when I was younger. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mysterious Island.

December 11, 2017 – Shelved