Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > The Good Samaritan

The Good Samaritan by John Marrs

bookshelves: dark-as-night, mean-ass-characters, netgalley, read-2017

Laura is a mom, she is a wife, she has a 'picture perfect' life...she also works at End of the Line. End of the Line is a phone center for people that have reached the end of hope. They have no good days (that they can see).
You would think this would make Laura a good woman wouldn't you?

You would be wrong. Because Laura is a batshit crazy woman.
She uses her job at End of the Line to find her special people, the ones that have no will to go on. Then she talks them into killing themselves with her on the phone. She wants their last moments to be with her.
I'm getting mad just recapping this character. She is the character that you don't even love to hate. YOU JUST LOATHE HER. I need a shower after reading her character.

Then Laura "helps" a pregnant woman to end her life. The woman's husband is devastated and begins to try and find a reason that his wife choose to die. And he ends up finding Laura.

Has Laura finally met someone who is going to give her what she truly deserves?

This dang book gave me extra gray hair.

Now I almost gave it a lower rating because there were some things that bugged me. But after sleeping on it last night and having a freaking nightmare I got scared of damn Laura and gave her four stars.
The things that bugged me actually made me mad. To me a book that either makes you happy or angry as heck means something. It may mean that I'm off my rocker but then we knew that anyways.
Now for the buggy stuff. I'm going to put it under a spoiler tag so don't go and click it and then whine because I spoiled. Yes, people do that.
(view spoiler)

So would I recommend? Yes, if you are the type of reader than can deal with a book of hateful, evil characters that have no redemption. Just get your shower ready when you finish it.

Booksource: Netgalley in exchange for review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good Samaritan.

December 10, 2017 – Started Reading
December 10, 2017 – Shelved
December 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

Deanna Ohhh I gotta know what you think of this!!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "Ohhh I gotta know what you think of this!!"

I have got to quit slacking! LOL

Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {and so on} Any book that can make you want to punch it certainly has something to be said about it; arousing some kind of emotion is definitely what you want an author to try to do.
I don't understand it either XD

Deanna YES!! Awesome review! OMG did I hate Laura!! But I couldn't stop reading this book.

(view spoiler)

But yeah I still kinda loved it :D

Excellent review!! <3

message 5: by Bark (new)

Bark I need no more gray hairs so I might have to skip it! But great review :)

message 6: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Hmm, sounds to me like poor Laura is only doing her part to help save the planet, by thinning out the herd. 😏

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Bark's Book Nonsense wrote: "I need no more gray hairs so I might have to skip it! But great review :)"

I'm still mad at it. :D

Zombieslayer/Alienhunter {good freaking grief} wrote: "Any book that can make you want to punch it certainly has something to be said about it; arousing some kind of emotion is definitely what you want an author to try to do.
I don't understand it eith..."

LOL! Usually I want good feels but the angry ones work too.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Ɗắɳ 2.☊ wrote: "Hmm, sounds to me like poor Laura is only doing her part to help save the planet, by thinning out the herd. 😏"

You are the male Laura anyways! Bwahahaha

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Deanna wrote: "YES!! Awesome review! OMG did I hate Laura!! But I couldn't stop reading this book.

..."

YES!! (view spoiler)

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I need dis.

Jessica Hinton I loved this book too! But I felt like I needed a basket of puppies to recover afterwards....

message 12: by Delmy (new) - added it

Delmy unfortunately, some people use they're jobs to get their evil jollies off. I know I'll be one of those who hates Laura but I def wanna give it a read. sounds like Laura needs to hang with Dexter a bit huh? ;)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Jessica wrote: "I loved this book too! But I felt like I needed a basket of puppies to recover afterwards...."

And wine!

Kelly (and the Book Boar) wrote: "I need dis."

yes, you do. :D

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Delmy wrote: "unfortunately, some people use they're jobs to get their evil jollies off. I know I'll be one of those who hates Laura but I def wanna give it a read. sounds like Laura needs to hang with Dexter a ..."

Dexter should put the sarah wrap all over her arse. :D

message 15: by K.M. (new)

K.M. Montemayor I agree with you about books that make you angry. If a book can affect my mood, I give you points for that. Now if it’s not the book, but the author that makes me mad...one star

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* K.M. wrote: "I agree with you about books that make you angry. If a book can affect my mood, I give you points for that. Now if it’s not the book, but the author that makes me mad...one star"

I give em one star for that too! *cackles*

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Terrific review Shelby! :)
xoxo

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Terrific review Shelby! :)
xoxo"

thanks Patty!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* HFK wrote: "Happy Holidays, Shelby. See you around next year!"

Thanks my friend..right back at you!

message 20: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Interesting, fascinating, great review, Shelby! Happy New Year to you!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Margitte wrote: "Interesting, fascinating, great review, Shelby! Happy New Year to you!"

thank you Margitte! Happy New Year to you also!

message 22: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Wowza Shelby - sounds like a crazy kind of book! Great review.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Susanne wrote: "Wowza Shelby - sounds like a crazy kind of book! Great review."

Thanks!

message 24: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy Wow, this sounds very dark. Great review. But if this book gave YOU nightmares, I think I'd better avoid it!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Eilonwy wrote: "Wow, this sounds very dark. Great review. But if this book gave YOU nightmares, I think I'd better avoid it!"

LOL!

Zoeytron Aaack! Didn't catch your review on this until now, Shelby. I'd say you nailed it.

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Zoeytron wrote: "Aaack! Didn't catch your review on this until now, Shelby. I'd say you nailed it."

Thanks ZT!

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Who needs this sort of torture in their relaxation time??? Thanks, Shelbs!

message 29: by Alli (new)

Alli Think I might opt out of this one. Thx for the great review.

barbara Wow was breathless about this book as to how Laura maliputated people and got away with it found it a bit disturbing .Pity Ryan didn't come clean with the police he had the evidence ,and i'm sure the police would have seen Johnny's death wasn't about defending his wife !!!!

message 31: by L A i N E Y (new)

L A i N E Y Your recommendation is really intriguing to me, I think I’m in for an ‘unlikeable’ character who’s well-written :)

Renee I have to disagree with your comment about her being held to a higher standard, she LIT the fire deliberately because she blamed the house for their arguments. Regardless of whether she meant to hurt Henry that’s a dangerous and deliberate act that he has every right to be mad at her for. She proved that she was emotionally unstable, especially being hospitalised after, and I personally wouldn’t want someone like that around my kids either.

Alyssia Cooke I wish more people would use spoiler tags!!

Jeanna Lee I agree that you cant even love to hate and believe a really good either pisses you off like no ones business or touches you deeply. As far as the buggy part, i do wish they gave more background on Laura but I think the author gave enough to get the idea of Laura. Tbh I really didn't even want to know her past. Hmm i think the husband was not there, i think he left during the argument? And she is the one to start the fire.... thats a pretty big role in what to hapoen to Henry.