Philippe's Reviews > Thinking in Systems: A Primer

Thinking in Systems by Donella H. Meadows

it was ok
bookshelves: systems-thinking, management, ecology

As a collection of guidelines for understanding and intervening in problematic situations this book is quite useful. But I have never liked it because of two reasons, one internal to the book and one related to its effects in the outside world.

As a primer, it’s perfectly fine that a book skids over some of the finer points of the theory. But my feeling is that this informality hides a quite damaging conceptual incoherence. Epistemologically the book oscillates between a naive realism (there is complexity out there and we can model it more or less faithfully) and a muddled constructivism (we can’t really know what is out there but models are a useful construct to structure our interaction with the world with the aim to progressively learn about how to deal with the friction and problems in that world). Then the book is anchored in the normative perspective of an engineer who is interested in the dynamics of depletion of natural resources. It is inevitable that this professional perspective engenders a very distinctive (but always disputable) way of evaluating systems behavior. It is equally inevitable that it reflects a rather obvious position on the political spectrum. Finally the lack of conceptual clarity extends to some of the pivotal notions in the book. It remains, for instance, unclear how desirable systems behavior, resilience and self-organization are conceptually linked. Also, readers may be surprised by the progressively narrowing focus to how social systems may suffer from actors’ bounded rationality.

My other misgivings have to do with the way this book is at the root of some of the ‘systems traps’ that it wants to help defeat. Many people will read the book in the conviction that this is more or less what there is to say about systems thinking. In fact its scope is quite narrow. There is much more to be said about ‘systems thinking and doing’ than the MIT-centered school of system dynamics leads us to believe. By omitting references to other, ‘competing’ (or complementary) approaches the book puts the bar for aspiring learners rather low, leading to a premature sense of gratification of readers’ curiosity for systemic insights (the ‘eroding goals’ trap). Furthermore and related to the previous point, if readers’ attention is the stock that authors and publishers are competing for, then the net effect of this book’s ever-increasing popularity is that it crowds out other, contrasting accounts of systems thinking (the ’success to the successful’ trap). In other words, the success of the MIT brand of system dynamics is obscuring other valuable contributions in the systems domain to such an extent that it is becoming a liability rather than an asset (considered against the background of potential gains in intellectual capital that could be realized by other systems approaches).

So I'm giving two stars to underline my reservations. But I won't dispute that 'Thinking in Systems" contains quite a few useful ideas and from that point of view I could have granted it 3,5 stars too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking in Systems.

Started Reading
December 10, 2017 – Shelved
December 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Bertrand (new)

Bertrand What accessible introduction to system thinking would you recommend to an ignoramus like me?

Philippe It depends what kind of questions you are interested in. Despite the rigour suggested by the moniker 'systems thinking', the field is anything but 'systematic'. But perhaps start with Edgar Morin's On Complexity (see also my review).

message 3: by Marc (new)

Marc Philippe wrote: "It depends what kind of questions you are interested in. Despite the rigour suggested by the moniker 'systems thinking', the field is anything but 'systematic'. But perhaps start with Edgar Morin's..."
Bertrand, after New Year I'm going to start a reading/studying-session on Systems Thinking, also starting with Morin (there's also the French orginal of this work Introduction à la pensée complexe.
But Philippe is too modest: he has written an excellent introduction himself. You can find the paper on his website or this link http://www.shiftn.com/media/shiftN_WP...

message 4: by Bertrand (new)

Bertrand Thank you both, I've just read Philippe's paper and I now have an idea of the diversity involved - the scalable and interdisciplinary aspect is tantalizing, but also a little intimidating. It seems to tackle (and predate) some of the problems covered in 'posthumanism', but without much of the continental fluff - which sounds great to me!
I will procure Morin's Introduction, and Marc, if you like, I'd be keen to read your insights (and maybe pester you with my own).

message 5: by Marc (new)

Marc Bertrand wrote: "Thank you both, I've just read Philippe's paper and I now have an idea of the diversity involved - the scalable and interdisciplinary aspect is tantalizing, but also a little intimidating. It seems..."
"Tantalizing", "intimidating": perfect phrasing! Can't wait to be pestered by you (and Philippe of course, who initiated this process).

Philippe Nice to see both of you are stoked to learn more about this field of knowledge. I'm constantly learning too so look forward to our exchange of ideas. I have a few reviews of really interesting books in the wings. Stay tuned!