LORI CASWELL's Reviews > The Trouble with Murder

The Trouble with Murder by Kathy Krevat

Dec 10, 2017

bookshelves: read-2017

Dollycas’s Thoughts

Colbie Summers has come home with her son and their cat Trouble to take care of her ailing father. Her gourmet cat food business can be handled from there but she still needs to commute back to the kitchen she uses to produce her products. Her customers can order the food online and find her selling it at local farmer’s markets, but she is hoping to land a major store to carry them too. She is also spreading the word locally at the Sunnyside Power Mom’s trade show.

The trade show crowd was larger than she expected. Then she is called away and leaves her friend and fellow supermom to close down her booth. When she returns she makes a terrible discovery. Her friend, Twila, is dead with one of Colbie’s signature knives in her chest. Of course, she is the prime suspect, so she has to investigate. New to the group she doesn’t know these supermoms very well. She quickly finds out most of them are hiding something. She just needs to uncover the right secret to Cat-ch the killer.

This series is off to a fine start.

The author introduces a great group of characters. Colbie and her dad had a falling out years ago but she uproots her life to come home to take care of him. It is a complicated relationship that evolves quite a bit already in this first story. Her son Elliott, is twelve and a theater buff and loves to perform. His dad has never been in the picture and Colbie has this single mother act nailed down. It was nice to see his relationship with his grandpa materialize. We also meet the diverse group of “supermoms” and other friends and neighbors too, including a very handsome next door neighbor.

The theme of Colbie’s owning an organic cat food company was pretty unique. Her cat Trouble is her taste-tester. If he doesn’t like it she throws the recipe out. I am worried about the name of her company in light of the news out this week about Mario Batali. Meow-io Batali Gourmet Cat Food may need to go through a name change for book #2.

The story has a nice pace and blends the mystery with real family life. There is plenty of humor and just the beginning spark of romance. The ending was action packed and had me on the edge of my seat. The situation had my heart racing.

I am excited about this series and am anxiously awaiting the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trouble with Murder.

December 10, 2017 – Started Reading