Kiri's Reviews > The Trials of Morrigan Crow

The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica  Townsend

bookshelves: middle-grade

Absolutely delightful! 4.5 stars. Quite possibly even better because I listened to the audio book. I loved it! This is the story of Morrigan Crow, a "cursed child" because she had the ill luck to be born on Eventide. She was, therefore, destined to die - but doesn't and is instead swept off to the Trials to see if she can qualify to join the Wundrous Society. She makes her first friends and develops, for the first time, a place in a family (hodgepodge though it may be). Like Harry Potter, everything seems to happen to her, rather than her agency affecting anything, and also like him, she seems to have no particular special skills, just a lot of good moral character and a bit of a puzzlingly shadowy side. There are some great characters here, most notably Jupiter North, who takes her under his wing (or umbrella). I'd be willing to read more books simply about HIM! Some of the writing and plot twists (often involving Jupiter) are quite clever, and more than once, I laughed/exclaimed out loud in surprise and/or admiration. Well done, author Jessica Townsend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trials of Morrigan Crow.

December 10, 2017 – Shelved