Edward's Reviews > The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success

The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy

bookshelves: 2017-books

This book has a few simple but big ideas. The main message is that small, smart choices consistently applied over time lead to great results. Overnight success is a myth. According to the author, your only path to success is "through a continuum of mundane, unsexy, unexciting, and sometimes difficult daily disciplines compounded over time".

Another key takeaway is the importance of taking 100 percent responsibility on everything we experience, owning the choices and the way we respond to whatever happens to us. This way, we hold the power to grow and improve.

Often we are tempted with the immediate payoff or instant gratification and lose track of the long-term consequences and gains. Having well-define goals and a sense of why can let your brain focus on the right actions and fight the urges for instant gratification.

Finally, once you start taking positive actions driven by your goals and sense of why, momentum will take you forward in the desired direction with less and less effort.

Most of the ideas in the book are not new and are covered in other self-help books in various forms. However, I would still rate this book a high rating as it is a good reminder of the principles I've learned from other books. Reading the book can help to make them stick.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Compound Effect.

October 24, 2017 – Started Reading