Isabelle's Reviews > Love from the Barricade

Love from the Barricade by Ashley Jean Granillo

71320427

Relatable, accessible and fun, Love at the Barricade explores the world of fan fiction, boy band obsessions and the gig industry, which becomes the pinnacle of main character, Aijae’s existence.

The book moves through a non chronological structure, whereby we track Aijae’s teenage experiences with fake friends and band member crushes, across several years, as she tries to form a presence online as a music journalist.

We are offered Aijae’s life at home through one window and her life at gigs with her two friends only – with samples from an online blog community – which left me wondering what the main proportion of her life i.e. her studies and then her degree was like (surely affected by her obsessive behaviour and need to see every gig by certain bands).

I was shocked by the nature of Aijae’s two friends, who never seem to exhibit any care for her throughout the entire book – and this seems accurate, not 2D, as their main loves in life are shallow and therefore their priorities are skewed throughout (they never look out for Aijae).

Although I felt conflicted by the happy ending – one hand it seems like Aijae is happy finally because a guy loves her, not because she has found her own sense of self worth – it still felt positive that Aijae’s main love in life, her journalism, is her focus and this made the resolution satisfying.

I would recommend this book to anyone who has ever been part of the band ‘scene’, had an obsession with boy bands or has ever struggled to grow up with grace!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love from the Barricade.

December 8, 2017 – Started Reading