Tiffany Reads's Reviews > How to Get Out of Your Own Way

liked it

Title: How to Get Out of Your Own Way
Author: Tyrese Gibson
Rating: 3
Headline: Self-Help or Biography?

I was excited to read what was marked as a biography by singer/actor Tyrese Gibson, but to my disappointment, it came off more as a self-help book. Gibson shared some insights into his life before the now infamous Coke commercial that started his career at the age of 16. When Gibson wrote about life in Watts and the dysfunction within his parent’s marriage those were the best chapters of the book in my opinion.

Even though Gibson is not a professionally licensed and/or trained therapist, the majority of his book is spent giving advice on relationships, sex, and even how to be Christian. Of course, when we all tell our life stories to another person we may throw in the lessons learned along the way, but what Gibson has done is to allow the advice outweigh/outshine his story. Overall, it was a solid book but the intended audience seemed to be women that need some uplifting and/or ways to find and keep a man.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Get Out of Your Own Way.

October 9, 2011 – Started Reading
October 9, 2011 – Shelved
October 9, 2011 –
page 3
0.99% "I'm starting this today!!!"
October 11, 2011 –
page 324
100% "I'd give this book 3 stars. Detailed review to come later."
October 11, 2011 – Finished Reading