Virginia Cavanillas's Reviews > Socrates In Love

Socrates In Love by Kyōichi Katayama

19380470

it was ok
bookshelves: rambles, paperback

Maybe 2.5 bacause all the tears shed deserves at least one star and a half.

Grey. That’s the color that defines this book to me, and my mood after reading it. Grey. Not the oranges and reds I was expecting. Not even the feared black darkening it all. Just grey. And that, let me tell you, it’s pure disappointment. *sighs in frustration*

The most important highlight about my reading it’s that I was crying from page two. TWO!!!!! Yes, I’m a softie but still...
The thing is that I was a mess at the end and with tears as big as a lake, but I was mad too, I was madder than sad because those big tears didn’t come from the feelz the story was inspiring me. No. I was crying just because a girl’s death makes me cry. It’s sad and awful and I hate cancer with all I have, and here the unfairness is huge. But the crying came from that fact and that fact only. I was sad for the event itself, not because what I was reading was beautiful or precious because I didn’t feel it that way. It was... ok, I guess.
Do I have any sense? This is the worst of my ramblings *sighs again with obvious frustration* (more evident that the sighs in the first paragraph)

The dying thing is not a spoiler, don’t you worry. That’s what you’re going to read if you choose this novel. The protagonist’s death is told in the first page (first sentence maybe?) and that’s what this book is about: two kids falling in love while one of them is dying. But this is not a romance novel, maybe we could consider it YA because of the age of both when this story starts, but I wouldn’t know how to call or classify this book since I don’t see it as a love story, because if it was, it failed spectacularly with me.
This is a tale of little things, moments and situations lived between our protagonist during the short time they have together.
Some philosophical stuff here and there and a few instants with a depth I didn’t feel. This was not what I was looking for and it bored me a bit (between tear and tear)

To my Spanish friends: In Spain the tittle is completely different if you want to try the translated version. It’s called Un grito de amor desde el centro del mundo and it was published on paperback a few years ago (2008?)

So, if you are in the mood for a teenage drama, a sweet tragedy, read it. Because you can’t trust my opinion in here since I can’t even explain why it didn’t work for me. Maybe it’s full of feels and I just didn’t get to them, or they didn’t get to me, or whatever. And it’s an irony since I was crying and sobbing like a little girl.

This book has inspired a comic, a TV series in Japan and a movie... so, I guess it has been magical for a lot of people and I’m the weird one who was expecting more and I didn’t found that something to blow my mind. What I find is a lot of tears that got my hubby begging me to quit, a lot of “I don’t care about that, move on and tell me other kind of things” and a lot of sighing. Sadly, I didn’t love the story but maybe I could try the manga, because they are so cute and there’s a possibility this way I can feel more between them. Does it sound superficial?

So, if you’re attracted to the blurb, give it a go and don’t mind me, who knows, maybe for you is a hit!

Reviews for Book Lovers

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Socrates In Love.

Finished Reading
December 9, 2017 – Shelved
December 9, 2017 – Shelved as: rambles
April 18, 2018 – Shelved as: paperback

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)

message 1: by Simone (last edited Dec 09, 2017 08:49AM) (new)

Simone *passes over tissues, a glass of wine and a biiiiiig hug* I think I'll skip this, but amazing review as always, my darling! xx

Virginia Cavanillas @Simone. Thank you, hun! It was sad and disappointing at the same time and it’s not even a romance :( I’ve read it was epic and I crashed myself noisily

* A Reader Obsessed * No sad for me but great review!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Ay mi niña llorando en la segunda página! A veces tener expectativas es un rollo. Me encanta lo triste pero leyendo tu review voy a pasar big time. Gracias por la review x

message 5: by A. (new)

A. Fantastic review, Vir! I usually avoid books like this ♥

Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT You were courageous to read this book, my friend. Great review! xx

Virginia Cavanillas R * A Reader Obsessed * wrote: "No sad for me but great review!"

Well, you do well keeping yourself far of this one ; If the time comes when you want to do sad, we can find you a better option for sure.

Virginia Cavanillas Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* wrote: "Ay mi niña llorando en la segunda página! A veces tener expectativas es un rollo. Me encanta lo triste pero leyendo tu review voy a pasar big time. Gracias por la review x"

Ayyyy, cuando empecé dije "éste va a ser recomendación segura para la amante de las muertes" xD (o sea, tú) pero nada de feelz por mi parte. Oye, que a lo mejor a ti te gusta, he leído cosas buenas sobre él (que no entiendo xD) pero lo dudo.
Y sí, lloré a mares pero por el tema cáncer en si mismo.

Virginia Cavanillas ◆ Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$ ◆ wrote: "Fantastic review, Vir! I usually avoid books like this ♥"

Hey love, thank you <3
Sometimes I like sad (and "sometimes" is the key word) but I need more than sadness, and I couldn´t find it here.

Virginia Cavanillas Lyn wrote: "You were courageous to read this book, my friend. Great review! xx"

What I was is stupid LOLOL. Not a good choice even if I think that maybe the book is better than what I´m saying and it derserves a Little more love... I don´t know but it wasn´t beautiful and I wanted beautiful. I am very simple. ;)

message 11: by Shile (new)

Shile Great honest review my lovely! Sorry this was sadness-fest. xx

Virginia Cavanillas Shile loves books wrote: "Great honest review my lovely! Sorry this was sadness-fest. xx"

Thanks Shile, my darling. xx

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Vir wrote: "Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* wrote: "Ay mi niña llorando en la segunda página! A veces tener expectativas es un rollo. Me encanta lo triste pero leyendo tu review voy a pasar big time. Gracias por la rev..."

Jajajaja vaya mote que me has puesto, me va bien eh ;)