Rana's Reviews > The First Four Years

The First Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Okay, all 9 are finished. And what a ride through droughts, blizzards, a lot of baked beans and salt pork, failing wheat crops, twelve different types of buggies, hay stacks galore, and mean, terrible Nellie Olson.

Immensely satisfied with the series with some obvious lowpoints surrounding the treatment of Native Americans, and my god, the songs about "darkies" were just horrific.

Also a lowpoint? Jesus fucking balls, Pa certainly did not give one shit about Ma. He drug her all over creation just to satisfy his need for open space. She very clearly wanted to live close enough to a town that had a church and a school and he just didn't care.

And the last two books that dealt with Laura's marriage? Almanzo might be dreamy but that man had no idea about money. They were so massively in debt yet he keeps buying shit like a new stove. The old stove works fine! You owe hundreds on your mortgage and wheat thresher, stop buying new stoves!

Also fascinating? The flip between basically living off the land in Big House to relying on store bought coal and pork in the Long Winter is crazy and led very close to death and starvation.

Overall, loved this. Will continue on with Caroline and Prairie Fires.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The First Four Years.

December 9, 2017 – Started Reading
December 9, 2017 – Shelved
December 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Idarah (last edited Dec 09, 2017 12:11PM) (new)

Idarah Funny! My question was if you were going to continue with Caroline: Little House, Revisited, but then read that you are! I hope to read this entire series next year.

Rana I actually started the series because I wanted to read Caroline!