Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > Between the Blade and the Heart

Between the Blade and the Heart by Amanda Hocking

32067918

bookshelves: net-galley, favorites

Received an eARC from St. Martin Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Between the Blade and the Heart is such an appropriate title for this heartfelt urban fantasy inspired by Valkyries. We follow Malin, who's in college and in the process of getting her Valkyrie license under the tutelage of her mother, Marlowe. As secrets come out of the woodwork, Malin must work with her ex-girlfriend and new friends to stop the end of the world as they know.

The world building here is very cool. There are monsters and beings from a few mythologies, but keeping a general focus on Norse. I loved the intro with Valkyries as almost a separate agency all on their own. Each one had their own flavor and the conflict between feelings and detachment made for great plotting. I really related to Malin, as someone who might be really bad at feelings because of her strained relationship with Marlowe. I thought this aspect was very well-handled and really sets up for Malin's growth in books to come.

One thing that threw me off was the bluntness of the descriptions. They could have been handled with some more finesse, instead of a laundry list of outfit pieces and things to look at. It made the action pieces a bit bare.

All in all, I really liked this book and if anyone is looking for a well-paced, urban mythology, look no further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Blade and the Heart.

December 8, 2017 – Started Reading