❀⊱RoryReads⊰❀'s Reviews > The Secret Life of Mrs. London

The Secret Life of Mrs. London by Rebecca Rosenberg

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, netgalley-completed

3 Stars.

This is a well written and researched fictionalized account of the marriage of Jack and Charmian London.

The London's marriage was of the bohemian type, with Charmian having an affair and getting pregnant by another man. She was also a writer, and dissatisfied with her role as Jack's support system. It was her job to sober him up and make sure he wrote every day. The rest of her husband's care was in the hands of his sister who lived with them and who didn't approve of Charmian.

The book also chronicles Charmian's friendship with Harry Houdini and his wife and I can't help thinking that Charmian wasn't much of a friend to Bessie Houdini.

I really wanted to love this book, it has all the right elements, but I couldn't warm up to any of the characters, particularly Charmian, who I wouldn't trust any further than I could throw her. If you are a fan of Jack London's writing and you like reading about messy, complicated, marriages you'll enjoy this more that I did.

Thank you to the author and NetGalley for a copy of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Mrs. London.

December 8, 2017 – Shelved