Christina Torretta's Reviews > Don't Wake Up

Don't Wake Up by Liz Lawler

Dec 08, 2017

Read 2 times

Ok, wow. I have to say, the first few pages of this took me by surprise. I guess I wasn't totally prepared, even after reading the synopsis, for what was going to happen to Alex. This made me really unhappy, which is wonderful for the author, horrible for me!

I love psychological thrillers, but this one hit me in some wrong places. Talk about triggered! There are some awful themes in this that are difficult to read about.

That said, I sped read through most of this. That beginning portion just would not get out of my mind, but not in a way that made me not want to put the book down, but in a way that made me not want to pick the book back up! I am still doing a review because I honestly believe that the author did a brilliant job of writing this psychological thriller, and although I couldn't stomach it, I'm SURE there are many readers that will want to read this.

The plot of the story is good, and even made me curious how Alex was going to clear her name. I was extremely unhappy with one of the cops, who refused to believe anything Alex said and even went so far as to go behind her supervisor's back just to implicate Alex. I was already devastated from the beginning and now we have this moron who won't even do her job!? I kept screaming at the book, ugh she was so irritating! Laura... eww, not my favorite character.

Like I said, I kind of sped read through this due to the graphicness of the plot. I can normally handle most things, I do love my psychological thrillers and horror, and geez I just read about a starving pregnant lady having to eat maggots, like I have a strong stomach, but I still could not handle this one. There are so many reasons why, and none of them have to do with the writing. Yes, this is a it's me, not you, letter to the author. I just want those that enjoy psychological thrillers to know they'll have a crazy ride on their hands and to prepare themselves. It gets gruesome. Hell, it starts gruesome!

In short: I definitely recommend this to those that enjoy psychological thrillers. Brace yourself for a bumpy ride!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Wake Up.

Finished Reading
Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
December 8, 2017 – Shelved
December 8, 2017 – Shelved (ebook Edition)