Tanya's Reviews > Exhumation: An Epic of Existentia

Exhumation by S.A. Chapman

F 50x66

liked it

The book is difficult to get sucked in to due to the fact that the author spends a large amount of time focused on world building instead of having us connect to the characters, or at least integrating the two. The book also felt like a set up for future books and that's not the way books are supposed to be. They should all have their own plots that are wrapped up but subplots can carry out and become main plots. Also, the amount of new words and history of the world is completely distracting and feels more like a history class than a fantasy book you can get lost in.

But once if you stick through and force your way into the latter part of the book then you won't be disappointed. The characters are fun and interesting and you are easily able to invest in them. This should've been done right away. This would hook and make the book much more enjoyable. But while the world building is very distracting, the author is very dedicated and his words are beautiful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exhumation.

Started Reading
December 8, 2017 – Shelved
December 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by S.A. (new) - added it

S.A. Chapman Hi Tanya and thank you for reviewing Exhumation!

Exhumation is my first attempt at fantasy writing, and I am also not much of a reader, so fortunately/unfortunately Exhumation may not have the 'standard' framework that readers look for and/or are used to.

As stated in a previous review response, my editor slated me on several occasions for making the start of the book slow. "Cut it to the point where the dude gets killed in the forest" is pretty much what she said. It's pretty much what everyone said.

But I kept all the slow/mundane stuff in, mainly because I know its important. I've been told that having one book set up another isn't the way to go - but this is a series and there are more books on the way, so it would be pointless for the books not to link up and or set up other books in the series.

I never intended each book to be completely standalone. Each book does have its own plot, somewhat related to the title. Exhumation, or "the action of digging up something buried, especially a corpse", refers to the discovery/recovery of the lost memories of the main protagonist. However, all the book are all interweaved, most occurring parallel in time.

The comment that this book feels like a setup is somewhat understandable, as it is a series. This book was started over 7 years ago and reached around 700k words in total. I've butchered, sliced and diced the text into several books. I hope it didn't turn out too bad. Maybe once the other books are released the world/history may begin to make greater sense.

It will take time to get absorbed into the world because I tried to avoid the Tolkienesque world of Elves, Fairies, Dwarves and all those kind of familiar elements. I do hope the world-building isn't over the top, but I didn't want to make it feel like a rip-off or fan fiction of someone else's hard work.

My theory is that whatever time the reader commits to learning/absorbing the Existentia "universe" (if it could be called that), as undertaken in this first instalment, I will commit to writing more books in that universe that the reader has become familiar with. I would like the created world and stories to be a secondary world that readers can escape to and get lost in.

The print edition and the second edition eBook will be a lot more palatable- with better maps, illustrations, measurement charts, race/culture illustrations, etc.

Once again, thanks for the review and I hope you will read and review the other books in the series when they are released.