David Edmonds's Reviews > Mouse Guard: Fall 1152

Mouse Guard by David Petersen

1993503

bookshelves: read-2007, signed, fantasy, graphic-novel, own, read-2021, remarqued
Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2021.

To be honest, the only reason I picked up David Petersen's MOUSE GUARD, FALL 1152 originally is because I've read the REDWALL series by Brian Jacques for years, and since this dealt with mice as well, I thought that I'd give it a try. Happily, I wasn't disappointed.

Originally published as 6 separate comics, I initially felt that the story was played out better in that serial format. On my first reading of the collected edition, there didn't seem to be too much meat to the actual story. I thought that the collected edition actually hampered the story-telling process, as each individual issue would have had a month or 2 break to whet the appetites of those reading for the next installment. However, as I've gone back on several more occasions to revisit the lands of MOUSE GUARD, I can honestly say that the story has grown on me, and I can see the subtleties both in Petersen's story as well as his artwork.

The artwork on MOUSE GUARD, FALL 1152 is stunning. Handling all art chores himself, Petersen has created a beautifully rendered and colored world, with an almost hand-painted yet organic feel to the entire story.

Taken as a whole, the entire book is quite an achievement. I'm anxiously awaiting the release of its sequel, WINTER 1152.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mouse Guard.

Started Reading