Gail Chianese's Reviews > Good Luck with That

Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins

bookshelves: read-wf-lit

As someone who has battled their weight for as long as they can remember, this book hit very close to home. I think I experienced every emotion possible while reading it. I laughed; it’s Kristan Higgins, after all. I cried – happy and sad tears, and then happy again. But it was more than just an “enjoyable read”. At times it was uncomfortable because it was truthful.

Have I ever hated the way I look? Everyday. Have I ever hated myself for not being strong enough? Too many times. Have I been the recipient of nasty comments about my weight? Yes, and I can remember dreaming of the day when I’d have lost the extra weight and be able to do the things my “skinny” friends could do, just like Georgia, Marley, and Emerson.

I loved this book not just because it was well written, and funny at times, but also because I could relate to these women and their hopes and dreams and fears and struggles. I cried reading Emerson’s passages, especially knowing she died because of complications from her weight. And yes, that also scared me…but in a good way. There’s still time for me. Still hope.

This book is so much more than just the back cover copy. It’s a book about family, friendship, and discovering your true worth. It’s about standing up for yourself, accepting your flaws (and no, I’m not talking about the weight issue…more about the lack of self-confidence) and loving yourself for who you are or who someone else is, it’s about seeing past the exterior and to the good stuff underneath…the heart and soul. It’s also about letting the past go and embracing the future.

It’s a story that will stay in my heart, and will remind me that I am more than what I see in the mirror, that I am smart, caring, funny (at times), intelligent and worth it.

Thank you to Berkeley for the advanced copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Luck with That.

December 7, 2017 – Shelved
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 24, 2017 – Started Reading
December 24, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2017 – Shelved as: read-wf-lit

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Rebekah beautifully expressed. can't wait to read it

Gail Chianese Rebekah wrote: "beautifully expressed. can't wait to read it"

Thank you, Rebekah.

Sharon H She just keeps getting better and better. I can’t think of anything I would change in this book!!

Gail Chianese Sharon wrote: "She just keeps getting better and better. I can’t think of anything I would change in this book!!"

Me either and I agree, Sharon. I wouldn't change a thing in that book!

LaVerne Clark What a great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one (but when aren't I with Kristan's work?). Your review just makes me itch even more to get it! By the way - I recognise your name from one of Kristan's earlier books and acknowledgement :)

Gail Chianese LaVerne wrote: "What a great review! I'm really looking forward to reading this one (but when aren't I with Kristan's work?). Your review just makes me itch even more to get it! By the way - I recognise your name ..."

Hi LaVerne, I know what you mean. I'm always looking forward to Kristan's books. They've never let me down. :-) And yes, she did use my name in her book, and just putting it out there, my review has nothing to do with that. If I hadn't liked the book, I wouldn't have wrote the review. I read lots of books that I don't post about because they didn't sit with me, But I'm not going to publicly say something bad about someone's book. They put a lot of work into their writing and just because wasn't my jam, doesn't mean it isn't someone else's. Now if I like it? You bet and I loved KH's book. Hope you enjoy when you gt it.

Rebekah Great review. Can't wait to read it.

Gail Chianese Rebekah wrote: "Great review. Can't wait to read it."
Thank you, Rebekeh. I hope you enjoy it and it touches your heart like it did mine.

Melissa What a lovely review!

Deanna Fantastic review, Gail!

message 11: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Chianese Thank you, Melissa and Deanna.
~ Gail