Jen Ryland's Reviews > The Sweetheart Sham

The Sweetheart Sham by Danielle Ellison

I'd seen this pop up on my Goodreads feed, but thought based on the cover and title that it was adult romance.
The Sweetheart Sham (really not a fan of the title) is actually YA and would seem like everything I'd enjoy in a book. It has a Southern setting, which I usually love, and a fauxmance, which I usually love, and the backdrop of a wedding, which I usually love. But the story's pace felt pretty slow to me. The fauxmance was mixed with a coming-out story, and I thought theses two stories deserved to be separated. I really did love Will's story of finding love with a guy in a small Southern town. In some ways I thought it was a more moving and powerful story than the main plot, which was Georgie's abrupt abandonment by her former crush Beau and his subsequent return to town. The reader has to wait a long time for the reveal of why Beau left without really saying goodbye and it after that long wait it didn't have as much emotional resonance as I'd hoped.

In the end, this wasn't a huge stand-out for me. It looks like others have enjoyed it more, so please be sure to check out other reviews.

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com or check out my Bookstagram!

I received a free advance copy of this book from the publisher for possible review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetheart Sham.

November 25, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
December 7, 2017 – Started Reading
December 7, 2017 – Shelved
December 9, 2017 –
76.0% "This is cute but slow - it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere."
December 13, 2017 – Finished Reading