Cristin's Reviews > Jane Eyre

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

142079

bookshelves: classics, favorites

I could bang Mr. Rochester like a screen door 'till next Tuesday. That's not all I got from this book, honestly...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jane Eyre.

Finished Reading
June 21, 2007 – Shelved as: classics
June 21, 2007 – Shelved
July 1, 2007 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily F. Oh, Girl, I know what your saying! He is sexy!

Kristy Mr Rochester...ahhhhhhhhhh

Alana That's nasty. He's a pig and as crazy as his imprisoned wife. Who in their right mind would seriously want to be with this guy after they found out what was in his attic?

Nelly Mr. Rochester in my mind is not ugly at all!!! I can't believe what he did!

Heather Crabill Mr. Rochester: Very sexy!!!

Sue Bridehead (A Pseudonym) Seriously? I think he may be the biggest dick (not in the good way) in English literature.

Starbubbles that was one of the most hilarious reviews i have ever read!

message 8: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette REALLY !!!... MR. ROCHESTER... Hm... I think I'll FINALLY read the book. I don't know WHY I haven't before this !!!

message 9: by Abby (new) - added it

Abby What's your opinion about casting Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester on the new movie? Aesthetically, I mean.

Deyanira This comment is perfect. I'm with you all the way.

Brianne Lucas wrote: "Rochester is described as an inherently ugly man, so I'm confused how any of you find him attractive"

In what world is "inherently ugly" directly translated to "not in any way attractive"? Ever hear of "ugly sexy"?

message 12: by Summer (new) - added it

Summer I am currently in love with Michael Fassbender as Mr. Rochester.

pink pills and paper Michael Fassbender is the perfect Mr. Rochester.

Frank Funny, I felt the same way about Miss Eyre.

Lexie Alana, yeah he was a little off, but he got what he deserved in the end...

message 16: by Cristin (last edited Mar 04, 2012 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cristin All of these reactions are hysterical- thanks for writing! I've pondered these conflicting interpretations of Rochester's character...

Here's what I think: as a young man, Rochester was selfish and indulged in the wealth of his father's estate...it wasn't a happy, light indulgence, however...When (as the younger son) he was forced into a marriage that would benefit the estate, he had no idea that he would be marrying a woman who was violent and mad. At that time in history, had her insanity been discovered (and had she not been from a wealthy family in Jamaica) her fate would have been much more horrifying and degrading if Rochester had decided to throw her into an asylum.

He shut himself away, too, running (again, selfishly) away from what he had become as a result of his decisions...and from the pain that came of witnessing the insanity that ruined Bertha's life.

Jane Eyre represents everything that is pure, righteous, sane and decent (Frank, if I did indeed swing that way, I'd totally want to bang Jane Eyre. She is badass!)...Her resolve and strength is almost unearthly and her moral compass seems pretty damn solid. Rochester seeks redemption and sees an opportunity for it in being with Jane...and I don't think he's doing it superficially or for entirely selfish reasons- Jane and Rochester have a legitimate connection, and he wants to honor it. Is he kind of ridiculous about it? Kind of passionate and overthrown by emotions? It's a gothic novel, for goodness sake! Do it up, Rochester! Keep your resolve, Jane! The moors will take you on walkabout!

All of that nonsense being said...I stubbornly maintain that Rochester is damn sexy (Conventionally? Boring...Unconventionally? Bring it on!)...and yes...that screen door is bangin' all right!

Abby...there are so many Rochesters in film...I liked Toby Stephens' rendition quite a bit...

Fassbender has them wolf eyes that make my blood stir like a witch's brew! He showed a delicate balance of brooding, sensuality and tension..."you never know if he's in jest or in earnest"

Ciaran Hinds' was satisfying...

Loads of people criticize William Hurt's rendition (talk about a despicable jerk...Hurt notoriously abused his wife) but I thought he brought some nice touches to it...

Revel in Rochester, everyone! Revel in him, the good and the bad! (Although if you read Wide Sargasso Sea -by Jean Rhys- your opinion of Rochester may indeed change for the worse)...And remember, "the shadows are as important as the light"

message 17: by Gela (new)

Gela I love this comment lol :)

Rebecca loves it... have you seen the version with Michael Fassenbender as Mr Rochester?? fap.

Richard Power Cristin, I loved your thoughts, everyone I've shown have loved it!!

Emma Grace, This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the book.

Stephanie That couldn't be said any better.

message 22: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz I agree 1000%. The way he speaks, it makes you yearn for someone to give you at least a tenth of the love he gives Jane.

~☺MiNi☺~ All the awards!

Kirsten Bailey LOL me too!

message 25: by Lucie (new)

Lucie Not a massive fan on fassbender, personally I much prefer Toby Stephens as Rochester. Rochester is my one true fictional love if I could marry him I would!

Nikola SO. MUCH. WORD.

Lulu I LOVE Fassbender. But not so much Rochester.

message 28: by LJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

LJ Ahahahahaha. Exactly.

Diana Adhiambo Haha I agree with this review in every way! I couldn't wait to read the pages with Rochester in them. He was a beast & his mysterious character just made him even sexier & more 'bangable'!

Tatiana LOL! completely understood, the way he speaks... swoon.

Maysoon K @alana
Atleast he didn't try to dispose of her- to kill her- to disown her like most men would do! His lunatic wife was a pyscho- and she'd drive him psycho, too!

message 32: by Lori (new) - added it

Lori Andrews Toby Stephens definitely has my vote as Rochester...yum

Lucas Rochester was a terrible person who locked up his crazy wife and hurt jane eyre incredibly... their reunion in the end is just ... pathetic

message 34: by Daniel (new) - added it

Daniel Fletcher XD

message 35: by Amelia (new)

Amelia I hadn't read it, i dont know why... but I keep looking at it ... Now you got me all excited to read the book. Thank you :)

message 36: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Best review ever. I wholeheartedly agree with your elaborated comments as well... that's precisely how I viewed him.

Emily Best review haha, a lot of people who are saying negative things are missing the point I think. He is a complex character, he made poor decisions but still he believes in true love, his speech is romantic, that's why people like him

Colleen That opening line is hysterical! I'm still laughing!

message 39: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Thank you for making me laugh!

Viktorija Un-der-STOOD! Great review (:

Sandy00 Toby Stephens is perfect at least to me as Rochester.

Anais Wickes Jane is probably the best image in a book that I could find that shows what a governess goes through in a family like this one. I love how she handles the family and what she does to entertain them.

message 43: by Sαɾαԋ (new) - added it

Sαɾαԋ ♥† Oi ! Keep it PG please... ;)

Rhonda Lillie I was so lucky to get this as a free recorded book on my iPhone app (Audiobooks) and was able to listen to the voice of Elizabeth Klett read me this book. I had the hardest time taking the ear phones out of my ears! There were only a couple of chapters that I longed would hurry past so as to get to the ones I wanted to hear. Anything to do with Jane and Mr. Rochester was exquisite torture, and I loved it so very much! I held my breath a lot, waiting... waiting... I would say this has to be one of the most wonderful romances ever that I have read, and so gripping, yet, so much not a romance as the life of a woman who we get to know so well. All of this book was beautifully written, encapsulated me in awe and kept me enchanted. The ending.... I cannot say for I would spoil the reader's delight.... but I have got to now run out and get every copy of the movie in hopes of viewing what I had read to me. In hopes of enjoying every moment again and again and again. This is a wonderful book, delightful and beautiful. Painful, so very painful, and heart wrenching. I learned so much about that era, and I am so pleased. I loved it!

message 45: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Loucks This is why I love people who read books.
We can say we'll bang fictional characters into next week and get high fives by our fellow book nerds.

message 46: by Sαɾαԋ (new) - added it

Sαɾαԋ ♥† I'll say ;)

message 47: by Merjem (new) - added it

Merjem TOTALLY RELATABLE.

Susan (the other Susan) If you bang Mr Rochester with too much enthusiasm, you will scare the beejeezus out of him and wind up like the madwoman in the attic. Dont take my word for it . Read Jean Rhys' beautiful and disturbing "prequel" to Jane Eyre, "The Wide Sargasso Sea," about the exotic Caribbean-raised beauty who marries and disappoints young Mr. Rochester and is the mother of his child.

Startling, the way the same story can have essentially different truths, depending on perspective...In Victorian England, a woman didn't have to be very crazy to be considered crazy; she just had to be different, and possibly a bit too sensual to be considered a fit wife and mother. So Rhys' book has a ring of authenticity.

Gloria That is HORRIBLE really come on people get a grip!ewwwwwwwww

message 50: by Olya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Olya How Rochester acted with Bertha is actually pretty kind considering history. If you had any mental illness you were locked up and treated badly because it was believed you were possessed. It wasn't until William Tuke came along that this started to change (book mentions his name). He kept her in a room with a maid because they didn't know what else to do. His faults about lying and going after beautiful women was something different. But we are all flawed and the author gave him what was due. He did try to save her which convinces me that he wasn't exaggerating who this woman was, or his child.

« previous 1 3