hayden's Reviews > Mostly Good Girls

Mostly Good Girls by Leila Sales

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, doesnt-deserve-publication, doesnt-deserve-the-goodreads-rating, dreadfully-boring, expect-the-worst, gave-up, just-couldn-t-take-it-anymore, borrowed-it, funny, mega-sucky-cover, not-even-worth-a-star, they-cut-down-trees-for-this-sh-t, used-for-kindling, ★★★★★
Recommended to hayden by: Terry DeBarger (although I wouldn't exactly say it was a "recommendation")
Recommended for: people who read two books a year

Lauren Oliver called this book "brilliant" and "poignant." At this point, I'm seriously doubting her sanity. It's actually really funny how bad this book is.

The problem with this book isn't that it's stupid -- the problem is that it's stupid. The girls sit there during class and make lists of who is a virgin and who's not and how far they've gone. The first chapter (if you can even call what the book is written in "chapters") is a pointles five-page rant about a dumb teacher who went through college and other related life shit. The protag's best friend who is even dumber than she is says to get into his fraternity, he had to drink "a whole keg of beer." And I thought Kayla from the House of Night series was retarded -- she's nothing compared to the people in this book.

In the near forty-five pages I read, there was no conflict at all. She was blabbing on and on about her ever-so-interesting past and other related and retarded incidents she had with her BFF.

This is the first page:

My Junior Year To-Do List,
by Violet Tunis

1) Get a perfect score on my PSATs.
2) Get A-minuses or better in all my classes.
3) Do many awesome projects with Katie. (Note: Projects must be awesomer than anything we did last year.)
4) Improve this school's literary magazine. At least to the point where I don't have to pretend like I am not really the editor, like the editor is someone else who happens to share my name (huge coincidence).
5) Pass my driving test.
6) Maybe become famous for something, so that people everywhere will know and respect me?
7) Make Scott Walsk fall in love with me.

This list pretty much comprises the entire book, or at least the small fraction of it I could tolerate reading. As you can see in this list, there is no conflict AT ALL. Whoever approved the publication of this book has serious delusions about what makes a good book.

I'm also pretty sure no high school sex ed teacher in the world makes you say the word "vagina" over and over to get more comfortable with it. Pretty sure.

And now, a bonus questionnaire:

Choose the answer, A or B, that best suits you. Make sure you completely fill in the bubble next to your answer of choice.

1. Would you rather:
O A. have a best friend who thinks it is physically possible to drink an entire keg of beer
or
O B. have a best friend that has a brain?

2. Would you rather:
O A. write lists during class about which girls in your grade have had sex
or
O B. listen to your teacher?

3. Would you rather:
O A. whine perpetually about how debutante season is retarded and how you weren't invited but subconsciously wish you did
O B. save five pages?

If you answered A to any of the above questions, this book is for you (and you're certifiably insane)!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mostly Good Girls.

October 8, 2011 – Started Reading
October 8, 2011 – Shelved
page 13
3.75% "Oh my God. And I thought Pretty Little Liars was bad."
page 18
5.19% "Ruby Jewell. Pearl Jewell. Opal Jewell. Oh my God. This is painful."
page 25
7.2% "Holy shit. I want to slit my wrists."
page 28
8.07% "Oh, Lord. I can't do this."
October 8, 2011 – Shelved as: dnf
October 8, 2011 – Shelved as: they-cut-down-trees-for-this-sh-t
October 8, 2011 – Shelved as: used-for-kindling
October 8, 2011 – Shelved as: ★★★★★
October 8, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

hayden Archer wrote: "ouch.... must be bad"

You have no idea.

hayden Archer wrote: "Hayden wrote: "Archer wrote: "ouch.... must be bad"

You have no idea."

it's such a pity that there is so much bad lit out there."

This is definitely no exception.

hayden Epic freaking win.

message 4: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Sorry to have wasted some of your ever-dwindling life on this junk. One of my (adult) friends called this, "One of the best, most realistic high school books I've read in ages..." and she reads loads. Different strokes?

hayden Terry wrote: "Sorry to have wasted some of your ever-dwindling life on this junk. One of my (adult) friends called this, "One of the best, most realistic high school books I've read in ages..." and she reads loa..."

HAHAHAHAHAHA! It's definitely "realistic high school". . . . I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not exactly "realistic high school" material. I can only imagine what the author was like in high school . . .

message 6: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry The question is: is it bad, or is it good, but not for you as a reader. After all, you enjoy some junk ("Pretty Little Liars" to name but one). Are there people out there who will eat this up, or is it just plain awful?

hayden It's bad.

Cheyla I actually like it, I happen to disagree a little bit that its bad. Its just different style of writing. I'm not nagging or anything. But personally, I liked the book.

hayden Chεγ δϝ ςεαττζε wrote: "I actually like it, I happen to disagree a little bit that its bad. Its just different style of writing. I'm not nagging or anything. But personally, I liked the book."

I'm glad you liked it!

message 10: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Hayden, here's the rub: there are some dreadful books out there. "A Child Called It" is flawed in virtually every way a book can be flawed. Loads of teens like it because it is a) easy to read if you're not an avid reader, and b) it presents a enough intensity to push basic human compassion buttons. Craptacular writing, no story arc, zero insight, needs a copy editor in the worst way. But popular.

So, I'm still wondering if this is really bad, or if you're going a bit over-the-top because it bores/annoys the bejesus out of Hayden. I may have to read it myself. Darn.

hayden Terry wrote: "Hayden, here's the rub: there are some dreadful books out there. "A Child Called It" is flawed in virtually every way a book can be flawed. Loads of teens like it because it is a) easy to read if y..."

I thought the point of me reading this was so you didn't have to?

hayden It has virtually no plot, stupid characters and measly writing.

message 13: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry Exactly. And to be honest, I probably won't - there are so many zombie books to get through, after all Rot & Ruin (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) by Jonathan Maberry is supposed to be good, Rotters by Daniel Kraus should be even better. But I'm fishing for more information than your clever review affords. Looks like some other unsuspecting kid is going to get that one handed to him/her.

hayden Rot & Ruin was very good, but its sequel was even better.

hayden Terry wrote: "Exactly. And to be honest, I probably won't - there are so many zombie books to get through, after all Rot & Ruin (Turtleback School & Library Binding Edition) by Jonathan Maberry is supposed to be good, Rotters by Daniel Kraus should be ..."

Are you being mean?

message 16: by Terry (new) - added it

Terry So I heard. Actually had a kid say that it was the first book that ever made him cry. And knowing the kid, that's saying something.

message 17: by Emma (new) - rated it 1 star

Emma *shudder* I know right! Simply. Awful. Never have I ever read such bad fluff.

message 18: by Brianna (new)

Brianna oh no, "awesomer"? Really?

hayden Yep. Exactly.