Elizabeth's Reviews > Eliza and Her Monsters

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia

bookshelves: contemporary, young-adult

It's dangerous to write reviews for books right after you finish them because either A) You gush about how much you love it or B) You storm about how much you hate it.

In the case of Eliza and Her Monsters, this is definitely a gushing review.

While I don't necessarily feel the character - I'm not geeky, painfully shy, and messy - Eliza is still a character you can grow to understand. Hiding from fame, annoyed with school, siblings, family. And more attached to her online world than anything else.

I will say that I think the 1st person narration is a weakness for this book. Eliza can be very aggravating, especially when it comes to talking about her family. She's somewhat whiny and certainly self-centered. And if the story weren't engaging, that could become obnoxious super fast.

Back to the story - I wanted to know what happens! The plot is sharp - if you miss a detail, it will leave you confused. So pay attention!

I loved the world of fandom that Eliza and Her Monsters unraveled. If you missed that in Fangirl, you'll find it here. The quirky online friendships, the pressure to be present, and the way the online world pulls at your actual life.

I would give Eliza and Her Monsters 5 stars, except the 1st person pov weighed the story down. And why is first person narration such a thing in YA fiction?

“Like life, what gives a story its meaning is the fact that it ends. Our stories have lives of their own—and its up to us to make them mean something.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eliza and Her Monsters.

December 6, 2017 – Started Reading