Caitlin's Reviews > Exhumation: An Epic of Existentia

Exhumation by S.A. Chapman

liked it

"A long time ago in a galaxy far far away ...". The iconic opening lines of Star Wars could just as easily serve as an introduction to this book. The mix of references to other planets, interaction of species on an equal level, dramatic battle scene, and vaguely medieval world structure make this story seem like a fantastical mashup of Star Wars and Game of Thrones. An entertaining fantasy story in the truest sense, this book is filled with interesting characters and exciting details. One critique, however, as with many fantasy tales, the reader is plunged into an unfamiliar world with several references to places or personal titles that perhaps are difficult for the reader to keep track of or understand to what these titles refer. This book does provide a glossary, but it might have been more helpful placed at the beginning of the book instead of the end, along with a detailed character glossary.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Exhumation.

Finished Reading
December 7, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by S.A. (new) - added it

S.A. Chapman Hi Caitlin and thank you for reviewing Exhumation!

I will take your statement of Exhumation seeming like Star Wars/Game of Thrones mashup as a compliment!

I am certain it will take time to get absorbed into the world because I tried to avoid the Tolkienesque world of Elves, Fairies, Dwarves and all those kind of familiar elements. I do hope the world-building isn't over the top, but I didn't want to make it feel like a rip-off or fan fiction of someone else's hard work.

My theory is that whatever time the reader commits to learning/absorbing the Existentia "universe" (if it could be called that), as undertaken in this first instalment, I will commit to writing more books in that universe that the reader has become familiar with. I would like the created world and stories to be a secondary world that readers can escape to and get lost in.

The print edition and the second edition eBook will be a lot more palatable- with better maps, illustrations, measurement charts, race/culture illustrations, etc.

I am still torn between including the glossary at the front or the back. I think it is too lengthy to be put at the front. I am working on Kindle X-Ray for the eBook edition, which will make the process of accessing the unfamiliar information much more easier.

I have taken your comment on board regarding a Character Glossary. It will be included in the next edition, most likely with character illustrations as well. Thanks for the tip!

Once again, thanks for the review and I hope you will read and review the other books in the series when they are released.