Lee's Reviews > A Question of Inheritance

A Question of Inheritance by Elizabeth Edmondson

liked it
bookshelves: english, cosy-mystery, historical, mystery, series

This is the second in the A Very English Mystery series. While I enjoyed this book, all the things that I found fault with in the first book of the series (A Man of Some Repute) unfortunately continued here.

For example, there was the awkward introduction of regular/major characters in the first book. I assumed this wouldn’t be a problem with the second in the series, but Edmondson threw this theory out the window by inserting three more major family members into the mix. These types of books already have a plethora of characters from which potential victims and/or suspects originate. All these have various backgrounds etc that the reader must learn and remember, without adding to the list unnecessarily!

The post-WW2 setting is again important to the plot. It’s a plot which is not as complicated as some reviewers would suggest, but I will admit it is a little muddled. For example, there is one scene which shows a character smoking in a hothouse, and I waited for this knowledge to be used to solve the murder, but it’s simply never mentioned again.

Also, whilst the main murder plot reached a resolution, most of the B plots were left without an ending or explanation. (There is a third book I’m about to start reading, so I will get back to you on this one.)

I wouldn’t call Hugo (a secret spy) and Freya (a secret novelist) the most capable detectives They do very little detecting actually.   Still, happily, they are a likeable pair. (But sadly still in a platonic relationship with only hints that there could be further development in the future.)

You do not need to read the first book in the series for this one to make sense. Most of the important stuff is recapped. In fact, the repetition of some facts got frustratingly annoying at times.

All in all, I was a little disappointed, and can only give this a 3 out of 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Question of Inheritance.

December 7, 2017 – Started Reading
December 7, 2017 – Shelved
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: english
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: cosy-mystery
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: historical
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery
December 7, 2017 – Shelved as: series
December 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mr A P Wiles Sorry I have only arrived at this review, so long afterwards. I have just read this book. Did I miss something, do the apparent threats to Gus ever get explained? I am on book 3 now so I apologise if these get resolved further on.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I'm sorry. I can't for the life of me remember! I have a vague recollection that it might have been Sonia but this is just vague and I could be completely wrong!