Lola 's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

did not like it
bookshelves: science-fiction, adult, did-not-finish
Read 2 times. Last read December 6, 2017.

Seems to me that Andy Weir rushed to write this book.

Oh man, what a disappointment. And an even bigger disappointment that it won the science fiction category of the Goodreads Choice Awards. (Just because the author is popular.)

To be honest, I didn’t even realize Jazz Bashara was a woman until specific pronouns were used. That certainly did not take long, but even after I made that realization, I couldn’t shake the feeling that Jazz’s personality matched that of a man more.

But that’s probably because I’ve read other works by this author, works that included a male hero, and their voices sound really, really similar. Is it just me, though?

What awful writing. I can’t believe this is the same author who wrote THE MARTIAN. It’s like Andy Weir wrote everything that came to his mind, without even processing the information. Maybe if he’d done that, he would have realized that some of the things he wrote were truly, astonishingly offensive.

Some are going to say that he’s ‘‘keeping it real’’. You know, ‘‘telling it like it is’’, but all he’s doing is perpetrating stereotypes and racist ways of thinking, like him implying that a niqab is a mask that raises suspicion.* It’s just so wrong for him to say that.

I needed this book to be more serious and considerate of other nationalities and cultures and actually have a female character I could connect with, but I disliked Jazz profusely.

Goodbye, book. Do not take care. DNF.

* Jazz said, ''Great way to wear a mask without arousing suspicion'' (on page 74) and I thought she was being sarcastic, because of her personality and lack of ''It's a'' before the word ''great''. That was my first thought. Perhaps I'm wrong - it's very much possible - but the writing confused me at times.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)

message 1: by Alice (new)

Alice Cai Damn lol I didn't even like the martian. XD

message 2: by N. (new)

N. like him saying that a niqab is a mask that raises suspicion.
WHAT

Emily // Mixed Margins totally agree with you. I was very, very disappointment by this. one question, though--I thought the line was something like wearing a niqab is a good way to wear a mask without raising suspicion. I could be wrong, though. Still, overall a very poorly written book.

Lola Hi Emily! I thought that was sarcastic? ''Great way to wear a mask without arousing suspicion.'' Because of Jazz's personality, that's what I thought. But maybe you're right?? I don't know. I'm telling you, I'm very disappointed in the writing. He could have at least said ''It's a great way to wear a mask...'' But also, a niqab is not a mask to begin with... Thanks for your thoughts :)

message 5: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Oh no! Sorry this didn't work out for you, Lola. I love Andy Weir and hopefully I won't be disappointed when I get to read it 😫 Wonderful honest review! 😊💕

message 6: by Tammy (new) - added it

Tammy I so agree, Lola!

message 7: by Brandi Rae (new) - added it

Brandi Rae Fong I was also disappointed. It kind of felt like he was writing with the purpose of creating a great movie and not creating a great book.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Sorry you didn't like it. It's one of my favorite books ❤️

Lola You know, that's very possible, Brandi!

Lola Here's hoping you do enjoy it, Bea!!

Lola Cheers, Tammy!

Lola Thanks, Melly! Oh, interesting!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ The Goodreads Awards are a bit of a joke. A book that was only out as an ARC at the time of the first round shouldn't be eligible.

Lola WOW.

message 15: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Lola, you are so right. NO ONE who really likes syfy would ever vote for this book in ANY category except "Hillariously bad." Goodread votes mean nothing. Why, Tyson's "Astrophysics" received 40,000 votes, which is over 2 standard deviations from the norm!!!

message 16: by Susan (new)

Susan Henning I agree. I could not get past Jazz talking like a 16 year-old boy! I gave up less than half way through.

Randy I thought Jazz was funny. So many reviewers seem to be stuck in a mindset of what a young woman SHOULD sound like. So what if Jazz isn't like that?

message 18: by Mark (new) - rated it 1 star

Mark Hampstead completely agree with you review

message 19: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz Smith I agree

message 20: by Clifton (new)

Clifton Started it last night. Same experience. I basically thought it was Mark Watney's estraged nephew on the moon, until specific pronouns were used. Didn't make nearly as much sense after.

message 21: by Josh (new) - rated it 5 stars

Josh People seem to be shocked that a woman raised by a single father who worked as a welder, homeless as a teenager, smuggler for 10 years, and friends with the guys she works with doesn't act like a princess.

If you work with only guys, (and honestly, 95% of labor jobs are guys) you're going to pick up on their humor and attitude.

Are you expecting her to blush when someone mentions boobs? She's heard that talk for two decades.

message 22: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Carol ☀ Walking in Sunshine wrote: "The Goodreads Awards are a bit of a joke. A book that was only out as an ARC at the time of the first round shouldn't be eligible."

Carol, yes, the goodreads awards have always been a joke. And the non-normal numbers prove it.

message 23: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Now, let's all step back. We don't know if Jazz was born a guy, or an hermaphrodite, and turned into a gal at the hospital (they do that in about .001% of all births, as the genitals are not fully formed one way or the other and the parents make a decision). Or maybe Jazz is a transgender. Who knows?

message 24: by Greg (new) - rated it 2 stars

Greg Josh wrote: "People seem to be shocked that a woman raised by a single father who worked as a welder, homeless as a teenager, smuggler for 10 years, and friends with the guys she works with doesn't act like a p..."
Josh, about the extensive talk of boobs, wouldn't moon gravity be great for aging people? Less drooping of all body parts.

Sam R. Franklin "Jazz said, ''Great way to wear a mask without arousing suspicion'' (on page 74) and I thought she was being sarcastic"

I think that Jazz was not being sarcastic at all when she said that the niqab would be a great way to avoid suspicion. The purpose of wearing a mask was to hide her face. If she wore any other mask, it would arouse suspicion. She chose the niqab precisely because it would not arouse suspicion, as there was a large Muslim population on Artemis.

message 26: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason I haven't hated a book this much in years

message 27: by Arin (new) - rated it 1 star

Arin I agree with you. It took me a while to figure out her gender.

Kristin Hanes haha I totally thought she was a man at first, too! while I had fun reading the book overall, I thought it was a poor portrayal of a female narrator. should have made it a man

message 29: by Holly (new) - rated it 1 star

Holly I completely agree - she wasn't written realistically at all, nevermind as a female. Also sad that this book won a GR award.

message 30: by Wynne (new)

Wynne Katherine Hahaha I was just about to add this one to my tbr. but then I read the reviews and I was like, whoops, maybe not lol

amazing review babe! xx

The Abster You know, I think making Jazz a man would have helped this story tremendously. Because from page like 2 I also thought she was supposed to be a guy. And then there's a sentence about putting her hair in a ponytail and I was like ok a long haired guy. Nope, supposedly she's a girl. Not once have I gotten the impression she was a real woman. And I totally get that she's supposed to be a smartass and whatever but there's a difference between being a smartass woman and being a little boy. So being a man would have helped. But even without that, this plot is so dragging and boring that this may very well end up being my first ever one star rated book. I can't stand it that much. Which is so sad because The Martian is probably one of my favorite fairly new sci-fi books.

Ahmed  Ejaz I totally agree with what you've said about Jazz's character. That was terrible! I also admit Andy Weir's writing style isn't fancy like that of other authors out there. BUT SAYING THAT Andy Weir WON the Goodreads Choice Award JUST because he's popular is WRONG. Let me explain:-
Sci-Fi is mainly about blending science and fiction. And in my opinion, Andy Weir do a lot of research on Science which can be seen very easily in this book and in the Martian too.
I think this book won the award because of its world building and you also have to admit that it's flawless. He gives a detailed explanation of world building according to scientific facts. And he deserves the credit of extensive research!

No offence intended. Just want a good discussion.