Jaci Miller's Reviews > Evanthia's Gift

Evanthia's Gift by Effie Kammenou

A multi-generational family saga that follows the characters through love, tragedy, heartache, and the stages of life.

Evanthia’s Gift, the first book in the Gift saga, is a brilliantly written, touching, and emotionally charged story. Kammenou’s characters are engaging and real, providing the reader with not only the ability to connect with each but to engage in their emotional journey. Each was realistically flawed, broken, or somehow affected by their past, which made the reader engage in their story on a personal level as much of what these characters experience is very relatable.

The author’s ensemble cast of characters helps to elevate the story-lines and the Greek culture, which she is portraying. Not only do her characters and story-line provide a better understanding into this culture but the author adds a personal touch by including authentic recipes inside the books pages, a wonderful treat for the reader. The author also touches on the historical past of Greece and her people; insight into the horrors attributed to the Nazi invasion, the religious aspects of the characters homeland, and the personal past that contributes to each character’s development. She also provides the reader with beautifully rendered visuals through her artistic world-building.

The plot twists keep the reader engaged but are realistic, enhancing the difficulties of maintaining relationships over years and through generations. Wound into the fabric of this multi-generational story are an exceptional group of antagonists – whether they be estranged sisters, ex-husbands, pride, or life-threatening diseases, Kammenou does not shy away from portraying them in their tragically wicked, agonizing, and heart wrenching dark truth.

The story is possibly the most emotionally draining read I have experienced in a very long time. It takes a talented writer be able to evoke a multitude of emotions from a reader in such an intense and breathtaking way. Kammenou has managed to do this in spades.

Clearly, the author has a very personal connection with the culture, the places depicted in her book, and the “family saga” that she portrays in the pages, making Evanthia’s Gift a book that is truly inspirational and authentic.

I have already purchased the second book in the series and am looking forward to reading it very soon.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evanthia's Gift.

December 6, 2017 – Started Reading
December 11, 2017 –
page 209
December 11, 2017 –
page 209
36.67% "I will post a review when I am finished but I just ordered the second book in the saga so that my hubby can wrap it up and put it under the tree! That is how much I am loving this book!"
December 16, 2017 –