L. McCoy's Reviews > Klaus

Klaus by Grant Morrison

60482096

bookshelves: action, comics-and-graphic-novels, creator-owned, fantasy, favorites, historic-fiction, hoopla, reviewed

I know I already said this in a status update for this book but it’s the only thing I can think of to say in the beginning of this review. Ho-ho-holy s***! This book is so much better than I expected it to be! I honestly expected a gritty Santa comic to be ridiculous but it’s actually pretty awesome!

What’s it about?
This comic takes place in a town that has a baron who is a very evil person, he has something against people being happy, kids that aren’t his son having fun as well as having a bunch of other strict rules and the people there live really s***ty lives. Now Klaus has shown up and starts bringing joy to that town during the Yuletide season even if it means he’s on the run!

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is so d*** good! I’ll be honest, I usually ain’t attached to Santa stories except for a couple Christmas movies I can’t help but love (possibly because my parents aren’t liars so they never told me Santa actually exists) but this is a freaking epic take on the character, I love it!
The characters are interesting. This Santa is more bad-a** than usual! The baron and his family are interesting (even their son and I usually find kids in books (or anywhere near me) kinda annoying so great job there, Morrison). I liked Klaus’ dog (well, okay, wolf). There’s a few more minor characters that are pretty interesting.
The art is fantastic! This book has a lot of really beautiful panels.
There’s some awesome action scenes in this one! Like I said, Santa’s less a creepy old fat guy breaking into children’s houses but instead a bad-a** outlaw trying to bring joy to a dark world so of course there’s gonna be some good action!
This is not a predictable story, I had no idea what to expect!
This book does such a good job at making it a mix of epic and super Christmasy! We need more Christmas stories that do that!
I know I already mentioned it but the wolf is awesome so yay! Then again, the wolf is sorta like Santa’s dog and anyone who follows these bats*** crazy messes I call reviews probably knows I absolutely love dogs so I’m not very picky about that (however if a dog dies in a book, f*** that garbage, the dog shouldn’t die unless he’s avenged (why stories like John Wick get a pass)). And if you were concerned (view spoiler)
This book has (view spoiler) towards the end and this version of him is freaking awesome!
The ending is so good! It’s a good ending for a miniseries but if Morrison ever wanted to make a second one he could, I always like those kinds of endings!

Overall:
This is so freaking great! Reading this is probably going to become a Christmas tradition for me! This is sorta what I’d expect from a Berserk Christmas special (though not as much gore and no sexual content so it’s still great for those who may be sensitive to Berserk-level content, I don’t want to put anyone off reading this). Seriously, I can’t believe how blown away I am by this. I highly recommend it!

5/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Klaus.

December 6, 2017 – Started Reading
December 6, 2017 – Shelved
December 6, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Christmasy comic time!"
December 9, 2017 –
43.0% "Ho-ho-holy s***!
This is much better than I expected it to be!"
December 9, 2017 – Shelved as: action
December 9, 2017 – Shelved as: historic-fiction
December 9, 2017 – Shelved as: hoopla
December 10, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 17, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish I've been meaning to get my hadns on this - glad another one of my GR friends loved it so much.

message 2: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. McCoy I’m pretty sure you’d love this one!

message 3: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Yeah, if only I could get my hands on it here (the only few copies I could find were ridiculously expensive).

message 4: by L. (new) - rated it 5 stars

L. McCoy I just looked at the prices on the German version of Amazon and wow... that’s surprising. I hate when a book on my reading list is really expensive, it actually slightly puts me off reading it.

message 5: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish Yeah and since we don't have the American (or British) kind of library system ... oh well, maybe one day.