Elizabeth's Reviews > My Lady Jane

My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand

bookshelves: 2018-reads, favorites, historical-fiction, fun-reads, frolicking, young-adult
Read 2 times. Last read April 12, 2018 to April 13, 2018.

“Armies aren't very good about carrying libraries with them. I can't imagine why. We'd fight so much less if everyone would juste sit down and read”

I know this has been said a million times, but this book is downright hilarious. I seriously doubted you could take Lady Jane Grey and turn her story into anything remotely bordering comedy. But you can? You just have to rewrite history and make it completely different.

I think the first time I laughed out loud was reading about Henry the 8th turning into a lion and eating people. Yes, eating people.The whole idea of obnoxious Henry actually being a raging lion makes a lot of sense. In a completely British, humor way.

Well, first of all this story is about people with Magic - the Edians. (how do I make the fancy d????) And the Edians don't get along with the Verities. England is being torn apart by this whole controversy and King Edwards very conniving sister, Verity Mary, wants to get rid of all the Edians.

But while poor Eddy eats more blueberry cobbler, he marries his bookish cousin, Jane away. To a horse. An Edian anew Gifford Dudley who turns into a horse every single day. Without fail.

“No horse jokes," he said.
"My lord, I apologize for the horse joke. If you put down the book---unharmed!---I will give you a carrot."
He brandished the book at her. "Was that a horse joke?"
"Neigh."
"Was that a horse joke?”

Jane, G, and Edward are so humorous. And great narrators.
I obviously adore Jane - she's independent AND A REDHEAD. And so Bookish!!! I love how she just drops information from her books all the time. How to kiss. how to be queen. how to deal with Edians.
Everything in a book, obviously.

Gifford, or G. is kind of evasive at first. I mean, he turns into a horse every day. And he can't figure out how to control it. I wasn't annoyed with him, but he made me curious.

Edward is a precious little darling and must be protected at all costs. Also, his whole I-dont-want-to-die without kissing a girl was so cute. And matched his sweet personality.

The other characters are super fantastic. I love Bess,obviously. (She's Elizabeth Tudor. Of course I love her)
& Dudley and Mary make epic villains.

Overall, this was one wild read. It was so Britishly funny. And a clever twist on actual history.

“I know I'm not inspiring much confidence at this point, but there's something else I thought I'd bring up.” She lifted her eyes to him. “I love you more than I love books.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Lady Jane.

Finished Reading
December 6, 2017 – Shelved
December 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
April 12, 2018 – Started Reading
April 12, 2018 –
page 290
59.06% "I've fallen head over heels for this adorable Gifford. Ed's pretty cute, too. And Jane is spectacular. Simply loving the playful way of rewriting English history & all the subtle historical nuances.
Also, Bess is the best sister. More Bess, please."
April 13, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-reads